NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33 - Triangulum Galaxy Revisited

StuartJPP

Since the weather isn't particularly ideal for imaging, I thought it was time to try and get more out of my existing data. M33/Triangulum has really frustrated me, its low surface brightness seems to just blend in with the background noise. I think this is as good as it gets with my current data, but might persevere a bit more if the weather persists (which looks likely).

I know I need longer subs which is difficult at this FL with the AstroTrac, it doesn't help that we get perhaps a handful of opportunities a year to capture some data.

Canon 7D with Canon 500mm f/4 L IS @ f/4, ISO 1600.

Astrotrac TT320 mount.

35 x 60 second Lights

25 x Bias

25 x Darks

25 x Flats

you have done well getting that much detail for only 35 minutes data nice one

Yes indeed - very well :)

bit of noise reduction in the dark areas might do well in that image, other than that really good for the limited amount of exposure!

Agree, it is a bit noisy will give it some NR.

Very nice M33 full of detail and quite long enough exposure for my liking :cool:

Very good!

Thanks everyone :icon_salut:

Looks good to me! Considering you only get a handful of opportunities a year to image, i would say you are doing pretty well! You have some of the best images i've seen with the AT. How long have you been doing AP?

How long have you been doing AP?

I bought my AstroTrac almost a year ago and have used it about 20 times, of those 20 probably only 5 have been suitable for imaging, i.e. I still go out sometimes even if the moon is up just to learn how to polar align and tweak things so that I know what to do and to not waste any good nights.

Like many others, I seem to have taken to this hobby at the worst possible time weather wise. We have just had the (almost) wettest summer on record and I haven't had a proper opportunity to image since 17th November last year (give or take an hour here and there mid week). So even winter has been atrocious which would usually give some cold clear moonless nights.

I think you've done well here. I had a bash at M33 last year and people commented (quite correctly) that it's a target that always looks noisy for some reason...

Might be worth trying the Richardson-Lucy deconvolution routine in CCDsharp which might tighten things up a bit... and then I found that M33 responded quite well to gentle high pass filtering...

Archived