Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dob or EQ?

Vince1963

Hi guy's... What i want to know is.... Which is better, 300mm reflector on a dob mount or 300mm on EQ6 mount?. i've been looking on FLO and there's only about £300 in price, would a 300mm on a EQ6 be a bit too much?, is viewing more difficult the nearer the Zenith due to the focal length of the SW 300mm DPS?... anyone with experience with both?...I like the idea of portability with a Dob, But the EQ does kind of swing it for me due to the versatility and i may get into astro photography one day, Any suggestions.. Thanks :smiley:

I am no imager but would imagine a 12" dob on an eq mount would be a nightmare for visual and imaging. the eyepiece would be perhaps 8 feet off the ground near the zenith? also I seriously doubt that for anything other than planetary, a 300mm newt would be extremely difficult to use.

better with a dob for the newt for visual and a small frac on the eq mount for imaging.

I agree with Shane. A 12" EQ mounted newtonian is a massive affair whereas a 12" dob is relatively compact and manageable. You are going to need a ladder to reach the eyepiece on the EQ mount in quite a lot of positions whereas you can stand comfortably at the eyepiece of a 12" dob all night.

I certainly would not get an EQ mounted 12" scope just because I might be interested in photography at some point. Such a scope really needs to be in an observatory as well. Just putting a 12" optical tube onto the EQ mount is a two person operation I reckon !

I use a 10" Next and for viewing i spin the tube so the EP is in a good position for viewing, now if i were to go the Dob route i would for one get the 16" and i would also have a GoTo mount, the GoTo is not because i can't find DSO ect i can they are easy but there is a lot of practice gone in to this, the GoTo would be to maintain a object while i make a cuppa, answer the phone or any thing else that might call me away, so purely for viewing a Dob has to win the bigger the better......

Hey thanks guy's for your input, I hadn't seen a 300mm on EQ so wasn't sure what to expect but i had suspicions it would be a nightmare.. i think its going to be a dob, Oh but which one? i do like the SW with the Crayford.. What else we got out there for £1300? :smiley:

as with all my gear I buy used. this means you can get a lot more scope for your cash. personally, I only buy Orion Optics UK as I feel that you get better optics and a lighter tube although the differences are minor in some cases.

I make my own mounts which are lighter, stronger and 'prettier'.

Hey thanks guy's for your input, I hadn't seen a 300mm on EQ so wasn't sure what to expect but i had suspicions it would be a nightmare.. i think its going to be a dob, Oh but which one? i do like the SW with the Crayford.. What else we got out there for £1300? :smiley:

Basically it's a choice of Synta made (Skywatcher, Orion (USA) or GSO made (Meade Lightbridge, Revelation, TS, Zhumell) unless you want to splash out another £350 or so on an Orion Optics (UK) where the mechanicals would be OK but the optics excellent. No GOTO or tracking on the OO dobs as standard though.

If you look around you might find a used Orion Optics 12" dob - they are great value :smiley:

Of the far eastern made scopes my choice would be Skywatcher. And thats from someone who's owned a Meade Lightbridge 12".

Just one persons preference though - others will no doubt chip in with theirs :smiley:

IMO once you start getting to these sort of size instruments, you are either looking at a scope for life, or a trial run to see if large aperture observing is going to be for you.

If this is to be your scope for life I would be either looking at a David Lukehurst, Summerian optics or an Obsession (with me personally leaning towards the obsession). If its to be your last big scope, make it a good un. You can always add Goto later, you cannot add craftsmanship to mass produced cheaply made telescopes. I know they are over your £1300 budget, but you only buy a scope like this once.

If on the other hand you just wanna try large aperture observing to see how you get on with it. Go with the Skywatcher. This is my take others may differ :)

IMO once you start getting to these sort of size instruments, you are either looking at a scope for life, or a trial run to see if large aperture observing is going to be for you.

If this is to be your scope for life I would be either looking at a David Lukehurst, Summerian optics or an Obsession (with me personally leaning towards the obsession). If its to be your last big scope, make it a good un. You can always add Goto later, you cannot add craftsmanship to mass produced cheaply made telescopes. I know they are over your £1300 budget, but you only buy a scope like this once.

If on the other hand you just wanna try large aperture observing to see how you get on with it. Go with the Skywatcher. This is my take others may differ :)

Hi Steve these all look great, but well over my budget. :embarrassed:

Maybe I should not disagree with all the wisdom posted so far - but I find hand-nudged Alt-Az mounts just so end-of-the-pier. I like my scopes to track - which means an EQ mount or computerised AltAz

Agree with all the good advice given above.

If it's any help I have a 10" newt and an eq6 along with a home made dob base. I used the newt in the eq for the first year. To be honest there were times it was a real pain setting up on my own and especially on the nights when I was tired. I was getting home some nights to clear skies and just did not feel like all the messing. I made the dob base and now I can get home even after a hard day feeling wacked and simply PLONK the whole thing outside in 2 mins and leave it to cool whilst I get my tea. It doesn't matter anymore if I can't really be bothered because it is no effort and I can just relax and enjoy my night (though hardly lately..:) ). Having a simple set up is priceless especially at the times you are busy.

The goto was great initially, simple easy astronomy in some ways when the enthusiasm is there but if you just want a mellow evening chilling under the stars the dob is a masterpiece.

Archived