NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad Finder Scope

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What length of cable ties do I need? I take it the ties go right around the circumference of the scope? (it's for my 8" BTW)

just join ties together to reach your requirements then snip the excess off.

the sticky pads work fine ,i use the sticky pads with a 4" riser attached tgen the telrad on to that ,solid. i can understand using ties though as backup.

A big plastic brick tied on to a giant bean tin with a couple of mirrors inside using a few joined up bits of plastic and you will soon be whizzing about the skies finding everything you ever wanted to see. Amazing this high tech stuff.....

I've been thinking about buying one of these for a while for use with my 150PL. As it happens, I have £40 spare which I was going to buy a UHC filter with but maybe I'll get one of these instead...

Right then, having fitted my Telrad with masking tape and cable ties I wasn't that impressed with the stability of it. So I decided to remove the original finder scope and I also removed the little clamp it sits on. This leaves 2 holes in the scope, I used 1 of these holes to attach the Telrad base to and now my Telrad seems very secure :)

A word of warning! if you decide to remove the little finder scope clamp make sure your scope is horizontal because there's a metal plate on the inside and you don't want this to fall onto your primary mirror when you remove the screws.

(this is on the SW 200p dob BTW)

I really cannot understand why people don't use the pads supplied by the people that have developed the Telrad and want people to buy more of them. assuming you apply them to a clean and dry surface, they are almost impossible to pull off (you'd bend the tube I'd wager before the sticky tapes would yield). removal is easy with some dental floss to 'saw' off the base and then either lighter fluid or some other solvent to remove the glue; I have done this several times and it does not take long. what you get is a rock solid adhesion and one that will last years.

another option is to drill the tube and fix with a small bolt/nut. there's even a hole in the Telrad base for this. I doubt though this would any more secure than the above method.

I use my Telrads with RACI 9x50 finders on all my scopes and it's a great combination. each to their own though.

another option is to drill the tube and fix with a small bolt/nut. there's even a hole in the Telrad base for this. I doubt though this would any more secure than the above method.

This is what I did except there was no need to drill a hole because I used the existing holes that held the clamp for the finder.

I used my Telrad for the first time last night and I have to say what a great piece of kit it is! I used Jupiter to align the scope and it literally took just a few seconds to do this.

I like how you can look through the Telrad from any distance, either up close or way down at the bottom of the scope. The full moon fitted nicely in the inner circle of the Telrad and the dimmer switch works well cos you need to turn it down a bit when looking at fainter objects.

I just couldn't get used to the magnified finder that came with my scope, I would move it left when I meant right and it was awkward to look through especially at objects high in the sky.

Everyone should own a Telrad, spread the word!! :)

agree 100% blueroom. i spent a fair while with my first scope with a real naff finder ,so a low power eyepiece was my finder. it could be agonising at times trying to get into a ballpark area for an object. the telrad changed all that though, you can be with a gnats doo dah of an object within seconds . money well spent ? you bet it was.

The supplied sticky pads are very effective. I temporarily used PVC tape, which is a bit stronger than maskin tape whilst determining position to fit the base plate.

Certainly up to yourself with regard to telrad and finder scope combination. in light polluted skys some people might prefer to use both as less stars are visible to fix a position.

On my SCT I have both, although I do not use the finder scope, instead prefering the telrad and low power wide field 'finder' eyepiece. On the dob I actually removed the finder scope and replaced it wih the telrad, as this provides me with the best position to use it. However I only use the dobsonian at dark locations in which the telrad alone is fine as more stars enable a better fix. The other advantage for myself, is that there is less weight on the secondary cage and so improved balance.

The supplied sticky pads are very effective. I temporarily used PVC tape, which is a bit stronger than maskin tape whilst determining position to fit the base plate.

Certainly up to yourself with regard to telrad and finder scope combination. in light polluted skys some people might prefer to use both as less stars are visible to fix a position.

On my SCT I have both, although I do not use the finder scope, instead prefering the telrad and low power wide field 'finder' eyepiece. On the dob I actually removed the finder scope and replaced it wih the telrad, as this provides me with the best position to use it. However I only use the dobsonian at dark locations in which the telrad alone is fine as more stars enable a better fix. The other advantage for myself, is that there is less weight on the secondary cage and so improved balance.

I brought my Telrad second hand so the sticky pads were pretty hopeless & would have needed replacing anyway, so I drilled two holes in the Telrad base removed the finder shoe & replaced it with the Telrad base as I don't use the finderscope anymore. It makes finding stuff a whole lot easier as well as star aligning, wish I'd fitted it ages ago now.

Archived