NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great galaxial session

Bart

Don't know if thats a real word, but anyay. Last night was exceptional for me in Cork. Thought i was seeing things when i saw the 'Black Eye' in the Black Eye Galaxy. But confirmed orientation and was delighted. Also got the dust lane in the Spindle Galaxy (or Needle, not sure if its the same). I was amazed. I was finding mag 11.2-11.3 galaxies with no trouble. When I found objects, I noticed nearby blurs and confirmed their presence in skysafari. When i went to Leo, Virgo and Coma B I couldn't recognise what galaxy I was seeing as there were so many. I realise the 16" will help, but I had looked there previously and hadn't noticed that many. It was wonderfully clear. Stayed up way past my bedtime and only went in becasue i didn't want to be zombified at work. The globulars, M3,15, 92 etc were wonderful, resolving right into the core. What a night. I had been starved from observing recently with permacloud but this really got my astro juices flowing again. I had questioned ny recently purchased ES 14mm 100* (not arrived) but now I'l lusting after it like a college student in the library..

Ahh, springtime. Great observing period.

Barry

I managed 38 galaxies last night and the sky quality wasnt actually that good but a dark site helped.if i didnt have work today i would have probably got close to 100 galaxies in a day,they were everywhere.same as you with virgo,located loads but only identified about 20 as i was frustrated looking at star maps all the time

Yeah I know what you mean, I use skysafari on the phone. Brilliant app

Barry

Out of interest, which version of Sky Safari do you use? Im looking on the app store now and can find 3, all for different prices. Obviously the more I pay the more I get, but I dont want to pay for info Im never going to need.

I use the pro version which cost £25. I bought that one because I knew if I bought one of the others I'd be wondering what I was missing. But I suspect that the plus version would be enough. My other argument was that £25 for a program that does so much and is so capable is peanuts to pay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I use the plus version. Never found an object that it couldn't locate in its database. Don't know about the pro version, I'm sure it has more. I had the basic version but when I input a target, it regularly didn't have it, and I can't say I was searching for obscure stuff. It's never let me down, it recently showed me where the Medusa Nebula was and I found it but it was faint. I subsequently learned it is a tricky object. I Lurve my skysafari used with a Wixey!!!

Barry

Don't talk to me! I was out last night till 4am. Unsure of where I live and who these strangers are in my house.....

Barry

Well. there is something seriously amiss wit the weather where I live. I am permanently clouded out it seems. You seriously had a night that good? Gee, you are only 80 odd miles from as thr crow flies!

I don't know what's going on, this is the 3rd good night this week. Been messing around for a while waiting for the moon to set. Checked out a few Gxs in Leo and transparency seems good. Looks like another late one. Gotta get fat on these chances cause I'll prob not get another clear night till May, going on recent experience. If I'm honest, I'm wrecked from the two previous nights and amn't 100% on for it tonight, but you know yourself, can't sleep knowing its black out there!!!!!

Barry

The sky looked good last night on returning from Comet watch so I warmed myself up and went out at 21:00

Followed the Coma-Virgo Trail down from Mellotte 111 = M85, 100, 98, 99, 84, 86, 87, 58, 59, 60 then up again to M89, 90, 91, and 88.

Most of the targets were affected badly by what must have been high icy haze, as M109 and 106 both looked much sharper and brighter near the Zenith.

Of the Virgo-coma Galaxies, 84, 86 and M60 looked the best, though these did not take any increased magnification well ata all.

As is usual in a not too perfect sky I completely failed to observe anything of M101 Despite a good while searching.

Jupiter, Aldebarran, and the Moon made a stunning little triangle to the west as they set, and although they had a halo around them, these bright objects were sharp and showed detail enough to send me off to bed happy by 23:30

All in all, and enjoyable night after a long barren spell with the big scope gathering dust,

Clear skies, Mick IOW

Archived