Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st trial on M51

Erquy

Hi,

1st trial on M51.

Only 17 subs of 30 sec at ISO3200, with Skymax 102 AltAz goto and EOS1100d at prime focus. Conditions were not best. I am more than happy with the result, much better than I could imaginepost-27995-0-26933600-1362948585_thumb.j! For sure I will give it another go and this time better focusing and much longer time!

post-27995-0-26933600-1362948585_thumb.j

Great job! imaging a DSO with a very slow f/12.7 scope on a alt/az mount is something not many people would even attempt!. I don't think you could go for much longer on the sub length due to the field rotation you get with an Alt/Az mount, maybe upto 40-45 seconds? The Canon 1100D is definately the camera to have when working with very short subs (ISO 3200 and low noise) The very low outside temp will be helping a lot with the noise also. As for focus you could make a Hartman mask which is basically a lid with 3 holes in arranged in a triangle, also there is a Y-mask you can make quite easily. Bahtinov masks are a bit more tricky to make but if you want one you might get one for your scope from FLO for about 15 pounds. For good focus a mask is essential, you can fix a lot of things in PS but you can't fix focus in hindsight. I look forward to seeing what else you produce with your un-orthodox DSO imaging rig:D Well Done!:)

Hi!

Thanks for all comments. For sure I am really surprised still of what I can get out, when thinking about many posts basically saying "no go" for DSO with such a small scope/high F on Alt Az . Anyhow keep in mind only 70% of the shots are usable (little vibration on the mount which is not that sturdy and I think main limitation factor for going into longer exposure towards the field rotation limit, - not really an issue on field rotation as soon as I stay from 30 sec and below-).

I used a Bahtinov mask for the second one, but still not that easy. I think I need to decrease the subs exposure time to get sharper (when processing in nebulosity, when aligning using high stretching I could see I have quite a lot of subs to take away, maybe only 40-50% are really sharp shots, many does not show sharp round stars -again typically small vibrations, not straight lines-). So I need another 1-2 night to do as many more and more and select further more.

I also had good shots on Orion and Pleiades, see my gallery (taken at 15 and 25 sec respectively, again ISO3200), although a bit too much stretched and noise starts to come out also. I could do it more gently to get nicer contrast, but less details I think

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/member/27995-erquy/

But for sure, I have a nice sky in my garden with little light pollution (although I live in the suburds of a small town -15 000 inhabitants) and all pictures so far taken between -10C and 0 C.

Archived