Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

W/C 4th March

swamp thing

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi waste of time you didn't miss anything- went out to garden set up, its was bit milky, contrast really bad couldn't make out much of anything, appeared clear but at a guess was only visible to about mag 7

I'm afraid its looking that way :( I've finally got around after many months of deliberating to aligning my polar scope in the mount, aligning my finder to the quattro and very excited to a "full" session. I did all the setup under lovely blue sky even snagged the opportunity to solar observe with my st80 only for the clouds to roll in for the evening and they look set for the rest of the week.

Dissapointing because I'm away on business for three weeks on friday so that's nearly another month before I can do anything arghh!

I've got a bad feeling the appalling cloud situation will prevent any chance of seeing Panstarrs.

Apparently in the southern hemisphere it was as bright as the stars in the Plough, fingers crossed we get a break even if it's just one night over new moon.

For what it's worth, I managed to image Sun/Mon/Tues, albeit a bit late...

seeing wasn't great with loads of high cloud, but I managed to get fairly decent shots of the Cone Nebula in H-Alpha.

will post picture when I've processed the data

Possible break in the clouds tomorrow (tue) evening. Anyone have any good spots for Comet viewing. My immediate local Westerly horizons don't cut it. Had thought I could try up on the Hog's Back, but heard there are some unsavoury activites that go on in some of those laybys and I want to take my little 6yr girl with me....see if we can spot Panstarrs together.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

tb

Well my weather apps showing clear skies tomorrow too. It's new moon tonight, so tomorrow could be nice and dark,anyone fancy a dark sky trip to Bignor?

That would obviously be, if this wind dies down a bit. cant see us doing much observing with this gale blowing. :clouds1:

I'm about, but I will be scope-less tomorrow.

Do you remember at the pub, that I said I had the option to trade in my 6" SW? Well I decided to go for it and have ordered another SW, but this time a 10" Dob!

It should arrive at the shop tomorrow and I hope to pick it up on Wednesday, so I've already broken down the 6" into boxes, ready to trade in.

I won't be able to make a trip out tomorrow. I am hoping to catch a photo of Panstarrs tomorrow from a local vantage point if I can. Trouble is, I've only looked at the terrain on a map so it could be a worthless trip! Is anyone else out to view the comet?

Jimieee: nice one! We love the 10" dob here. The speed of set up means you can enjoy every gap in the clouds and the nice, big mirror gather loads of light whilst being light enough to lug about. You'll have to change your signature now :)

The dobs are still a multiplying :grin: it's a great scope James and the trade up option is a brilliant offer, is it Astronomia doing this?

I spent a good couple of hours fitting the telrad and doing a first time collimation on my brother's 10"SW dob yesterday. Not 100% convinced with my efforts as unable to do a star test so dreading a "you messed my scope up" phone call soon!

Tomo is good for me, RC or Bignor will be happy to do either if the weather plays ball......the MET is showing more cloud from 9pm so hope they are wrong again.

Hi Guys,

As it happens, it did clear last night - but only at 3am...

the high cloud made image taking a bit challenging, but at least I managed to refine my rig setup.

tonight is meant to be clear, but with 94% humidity though...

cheers,

Sam

Archived