NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

W/C 4th March

swamp thing

I saw panstarrs this evening...or at least, I think I did. Below and to the right of the cresent moon at about 6.45pm with my binoculars. I'd driven around for about 45 minutes looking for a vantage point but with no joy. Although it was clear overhead, there was cloud on the westerly horizon so I went home disappointed. Parked the car on the drive and thought I'd just check the view from about 4 doors down the road and there it was! I'm 99% certain i was looking at the right thing:

faint, small fuzzy blob just above the treeline with a fainter broadening tail that extended from the oppopsite side of the core as the sun. the tail was about 2.5 times as long as the blob was wide (so not particularly long).

i checked 5 mins later and it was still there, so not a plane/contrail.

cool to see it and will be tracking over the next few weeks, although this was defintiely not naked eye visible.

anyone else catch it?

tb

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived