Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sci fi planets.

cotterless45

Just found some old scribbles referring to sci fi locations:

Vulcan ( Star Trek ) planet of the trinary Keid, omicron 2 in Eridanus. Nice group to the rhs of Orion.

Arrakis ( Dune ) home star Canopus, visible in more southerly latitudes. Shame as I'm certain that Baron Harkonnen lives down the road !

Any more ?

Nick.

I read a piece a couple of weeks back saying that Vulcan had been suggested by popular as a name for one of Neptune's(?) as yet unnamed moons. There was no guarantee of it happening though.

James

I wonder how the inhabitants of these exotic worlds, not having contacted us, know what said worlds are called.......

Pern is an Earth colony; in the stories the inhabitants (emerging from a dark ages) re-discover that the three 'Dawn Sisters' moving stars are orbiting ships - the colony ships.

It topped the recent poll for the naming of Pluto's newly discovered moon, I believe.

It was indeed Pluto, you're absolutely right. My recollection is that the poll wasn't organised by the IAU though and that they've made no undertaking to be bound by its result.

James

Also wasn't Vulcan the name for the planet on the other side of the Sun from mecury that was invented to account for an anomoly in mecury's orbit? Until, of course, they corrected their formula using Einsteins general relativity.

It was indeed Pluto, you're absolutely right. My recollection is that the poll wasn't organised by the IAU though and that they've made no undertaking to be bound by its result.

James

Indeed. Remus and Romulus were also in the running I think, but as far as I'm aware it was an unofficial vote, the result of which would be the vote-takers recommendation to the IAU. I think it was being held by the observatory responsible for discovering the moons?

Yes, that's right. The Star Trek fans could end up a little disappointed even if the name is used, as P2 and P4 are small and almost certainly irregular bodies. Will New Horizons even get a decent picture of them on its way past in 2015?

I thought the name 'Obol' was perfect, given that Charon (the ferryman of the dead) is the major moon and the obal was the small coin placed on the eyes to pay for the passage.

Also wasn't Vulcan the name for the planet on the other side of the Sun from mecury that was invented to account for an anomoly in mecury's orbit? Until, of course, they corrected their formula using Einsteins general relativity.

Yes, and the name is also used for a hypothetical group of asteroids - Vulcanoids - although none has been detected so far.

Archived