NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Into the heart of darkness - Reading?

So, I'm just starting out on proper stargazing, and I've hit a problem - I live in Reading, Berks., and the light pollution is pretty awful.

Last night I headed out to do some observing outside Reading itself - but the skies that had looked promising (under a full moon) now appeared to have an orange murk along the horizons. I'm not sure if this is due to conditions themselves, or due to light pollution. I mean, at 2100 the sky didn't appear black at all - if anything, it was blue, even directly above me - and I was struggling to see magnitude 3 stars.

How far does one have to reasonably go to get out from under the light pollution of a major town? And how do you find places to observe from that are actually dark and yet reasonably accessible (e.g. somewhere to park and walk from)? Or was last night just due to poor conditions?

Or, I suppose even better - does anyone from the Reading area have some advice on useful locations to scout?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sky was pretty gack in London last night, and I doubt if it was any better in Reading. I didn't see much below mag 2.

On a good night from where I am I can see to mag 4, maybe 4.5 with averted vision so you should be able to get lower if you can get to a darker site.

This site

www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

Has an interactive light pollution map, for both visual and imaging.

Don't look if you're easily depressed :mad:

Thanks Dave, that's an excellent site - I see a donation coming up.

Yeah, to be honest, it's not that different to what I expected - but not that bad if you're will to drive. The problem is the dark bits don't seem to have much in the way of parking, and further afield - well, how do you know where you can stop until you get there?

Still, it's really good to know that it wasn't just the orange glow of civilisation. It was a bit weird - I'd better view from my parents back garden in a small town at the weekend than in a field a couple of miles out of Reading.

A least I've some idea where to scout around now...

Reading is pretty awful. I live within minutes of the town centre and have only ever seen ½ of a star in the Great Square of Pegasus ( a useful tool to judge conditions by - indicating that my limiting magnitude is around 3.7 ). It doesn't help when our council give the go ahead for 'searchlights' over the town to be on all hours of the night :mad: . One passes directly over my house!!!

If you head out of town the viewing can be reasonable, but to get to a decent dark sky site takes a long drive. The Ridgeway just above Letcombe Regis near Wantage is pretty good.

Failing that come along to one of the AstroPub meetings that are usually held in the Bottle and Glass in Binfield Heath. You can get information on the AstroPub here http://astropub.co.uk/ .

Hope this helps..........

Alan

From where I live deep in the white bit it's a good 40-45 mins just to get beyond the M25, even using the A / M 40.

I *think* I've seen three stars in the Square of Pegasus, but that was on an exeptional night and I could have been deluding myself.

Fortunately I observe from my back garden and all the street lights are lower than the houses so nothing shines directly in. It's just the neighbours with their overgrown trees and uncurtained lit windows. Aargh!

Hi Alan,

Yeah, I'm still looking forward to seeing the Great Square of Pegasus. I live on the south of town near the A33 - I thought the view over the fields there wouldn't be too bad, but actually, it's lit up like Fort Knox with floodlights. It's not even just general 'glow'. The sewage works and dump must contain something really valuable.

I'll make a note of Letcombe Regis. Seems a fair trek, but if the forecast is good, why not?

And I went along to the February Astropub - though the skies weren't too clear! Still, good beer and conversation. I'm looking forward to the next one.

And actually, there was much darker - maybe I should take a look out that way. I tried the top of Sulham Hill last night - it was convenient, but like I say, I couldn't see much.

I'm just starting out myself and would also like to find some good safe viewing areas in Berkshire. I'm in crowthorne myself.

My fear is turning up at some hidden car park, to find I'm the only one with a scope and everyone else is [removed word]. :tongue:

i live in north west woodley and the seeing is pretty good here. you can still see the orange glow of reading in the bottom half of the western sky, but higher up is fine and so is everything else. i have managed to see m1 from my back garden which I think is a test of how good skies are, its very faint I have to add but it's there. so you don't have to be too far out of reading to get good skies.

I visited my girlfriend’s brother near to Faringdon along the A420 between Swindon and Oxford. I had my 90mm Mak with me at the time and remember I was totally gob-smacked as to how dark it was. The moon wasn’t prominent at all I recall. (I’ve just checked my moon calendar for the 20th August and is was only a small crescent then). At midnight it was virtually black and so may stars. The milky way was visible too.

I plan to return on a moonless night if the weather is favourable and see what it’s like with my LX10. I think it’s one of the darkest locations I have encountered that is reasonably close to London. It seems even darker than the south coasts of Kent and Sussex for some reason.

It takes me a couple of hours to drive there from my neck of the woods but I think it would be so worth it, especially if I can stay over at my girlfriend’s brothers place. :tongue:

So, I'm just starting out on proper stargazing, and I've hit a problem - I live in Reading, Berks., and the light pollution is pretty awful.

Last night I headed out to do some observing outside Reading itself - but the skies that had looked promising (under a full moon) now appeared to have an orange murk along the horizons. I'm not sure if this is due to conditions themselves, or due to light pollution. I mean, at 2100 the sky didn't appear black at all - if anything, it was blue, even directly above me - and I was struggling to see magnitude 3 stars.

How far does one have to reasonably go to get out from under the light pollution of a major town? And how do you find places to observe from that are actually dark and yet reasonably accessible (e.g. somewhere to park and walk from)? Or was last night just due to poor conditions?

Or, I suppose even better - does anyone from the Reading area have some advice on useful locations to scout?

Hi Andy,

There are a few options south of Reading, its worth getting the Explorer OS map out and taking a good look! I have found the skies to be a bit darker between Reading and Basingstoke, I observe at a very dark site near to Stratfield Saye. I got permission to go there as it is private land, no problems taking a few others there and some of the Bracknell astronomers that I meet up with know about this. I think you have to go quite a way to get away from some orange glow, but once out of town things to tend to improve a bit. I think just as important is the dark site away from street lights, cars etc.

cheers

I observe at a very dark site near to Stratfield Saye.

Really ?

I looked over at Stratfield Saye the other week and it didn't seem that dark. Maybe it was the weather.

Next time you go can you drop a pm or something or how do I get in touch with you ?

cheers

Mike

How far does one have to reasonably go to get out from under the light pollution of a major town? And how do you find places to observe from that are actually dark and yet reasonably accessible (e.g. somewhere to park and walk from)?

80 to 100 miles from a major town or city- and even then you might be able to detect a light dome. Your best bet might be to book a weekend's B&B or camping in the countryside. Parts of the Cotswolds aren't that bad. Maybe even further afield if you have a few days spare?

I have just noticed my 'neighbours' have started doing B&B (I found their website in the middle writing this post!) - interestingly one of the first things mentioned on their website is the lack of LP

Bron y Llys is wonderfully secluded. It is surrounded by panoramic views which can be enjoyed on walks, by bike, or from the comfort of a snug armchair by a log burner. This is a deeply tranquil place - the only sounds are birdsong and the wind in the trees. And on a clear night, with no light pollution, you can see a million stars and the sweep of the Milky Way.

http://www.bronyllys.co.uk/

Might be worth a look?

I live in Burghfield and the views are acceptable for me from my very limited back garden.

However I was near Almesbury a few weeks ago and the LP was minimal to say the least and its not too far away.

I must add I am very new to all things stargazing, so my of idea of what is good may not match up to what others find acceptable.

Newbury doesn't inspire many people, other than stopping in to deliver your letter of complaint in person to a certain mobile phone operator; but not far outside of it the skies get pretty dark. I'm informed that the local astronomical club meet at Greetham Common. Might be worth a shot if like astronomy clubs and chaining yourself to wire fences :Envy:

N.

Newbury doesn't inspire many people, other than stopping in to deliver your letter of complaint in person to a certain mobile phone operator; but not far outside of it the skies get pretty dark. I'm informed that the local astronomical club meet at Greetham Common. Might be worth a shot if like astronomy clubs and chaining yourself to wire fences :Envy:

N.

Is it still a ministry of defence site or is it just open land these days?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Really ?

I looked over at Stratfield Saye the other week and it didn't seem that dark. Maybe it was the weather.

Next time you go can you drop a pm or something or how do I get in touch with you ?

cheers

Mike

Did you mean sky wise or local area? The comparison I make is the LP over Reading and Bracknell then the area just north of Stratfield Saye. There is a difference but it may not be a huge one. Even a small amount gets you some advantage, plus observing from a dark site. Looking at various LP maps there does seem to be some consistency that that area has less LP than directly over Reading.

Do you not have somewhere to observe at Riseley? I can certainly PM you when I go though it is often very last minute because of weather. Can certainly fix up some dates as well if we see a run of clear skies coming in.

Yeah, I was looking at the avex light pollution maps and thought Stratfield Saye might be worth a look. The hard part on these small lanes seems to be finding somewhere to stop - and yes, I think I'd feel a bit exposed by myself. I'd also wondered about having a look around Heckfield Heath; I drove past there a few weeks back during the day and did see places to maybe park a few cars - I'm just not sure about the 'observe from' and 'dark' bits.

I think more places become possibles if there are two or more of you together, I'd feel a bit vulnerable on my own too. Bad enough just being there on your own never mind having a few hundred quids worth of kit to protect as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yes understand why some folks are not keen on observing alone in public, I have never had any trouble myself although at the SS site there is a car park gated and usually there are one or two others around. At the other place I use it is a country park CP and I have only ever met dog walkers. Truth is no one is really going out to remote places to mug astronomers!

Archived