Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD and HEQ5

Hello All,

I'm thinking of going the EQMOD way,after reading reports of how well it performs.

My laptop though,isn't what i would call 'high spec',would this be a issue?

If not,is it just a case of getting one of these,HitecAstro EQDIR adapter,and downloading the software/drivers etc,along with stellarium/stellariumscope?

Again,im not clued up with computers,so as simple as possible,please.

Regards,

David.

You can run EQMOD with a pretty basic computer - If you look on the EQMOD webpage or in the Yahoo Group you will find minimum specs. Do you have a Syntrek or Synscan HEQ5? If so then all you need is the adapter. If you have the basic HEQ5 then you will need the motor upgrade (Synscan PRO goto upgrade) as well as the adapter. I would also suggest using Cartes du Ceil as the star atlas - not as pretty as Stellarium but much easier to use once you are used to it and you can download charts to mag16 if you need them - not forgetting you can then slew to any star in the atlas! Which can be very useful for aligning photographs.

Have you got the cream cable that came with the mount? If so you can use that instead of getting the Hitec or Shoestring adapter. Plug the cable into the bottom of the handset and the serial end into the computer (via a USB-serial converter if you haven't got a serial port) and then put the handset into PC Control Mode. This works fine for me.

Helen

The advantage (if you can call it that) of the Hitec adapter is that it eliminated the hand controller (and cuts out a few connections) You have a simple computer - mount link and full control. I'm sure the linkage Helen mentions works but I prefer to keep connections and "black boxes that can go wrong" to a minimum. You can still just plug in the hand controller in the normal way if you just want to point to the Moon/planets etc quickly and easily.

I have a cream coloured RS232 cable,that was with the mount,

EQ6,HEQ5 Syn,SM is written on the box,but i thought that was for updating the handset?

Not touched it,lol.But running version 3.27 i think.

David.

Thanks for that Helen.Could you please advise me on what i need to download?

(i won't be doing it though! lol).I have found the Cartes du Ceil,so will try that,sometime over

the weekend.Got work now,but its cloudy anyway.lol.

Thankyou for all your help,up to now.

David.

Might I suggest you take a good look through the EQMOD Project Website.

There you will find a page detailing the prerequisites for EQMOD use. This includes an explanation of the issues concerning the various connection methods (PC-Direct/232/USB/Bluetooth) , how to build your own 232/USB/Bluetooth interface, and a vendor list where you can purchsse ready made units if that is your preference.

There is a documentation and FAQ section where you will find a quick start guide and links to the youtube video tutorials.

As far as laptop/PC is concerned EQASCOM (the EQMOD ASCOM driver) is not at all demanding in terms of system resources.

Chris.

Archived