Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Single Orion Neb shot

twelly27

It was utter luck tbh, i managed to get focus perfect and started at 5second exposure i set it to 10 by mistake and got the smallest hint of colour so just tried 30 and this is what i got, its by far the best picture ive took im so happy, i took 10 HAHA! i got a tad giddy :)

what camera did you use? It's a great feeling when you see what a camera is capable of detecting compared to our eyes, even with the biggest scope. I had a 10" dob and couldn't see anything like that, yet a simple camera and lens can capture glorious colour!

what camera did you use? It's a great feeling when you see what a camera is capable of detecting compared to our eyes, even with the biggest scope. I had a 10" dob and couldn't see anything like that, yet a simple camera and lens can capture glorious colour!

its my sisters canon 1000D i just used a t ring screwed onto my barlow and snapped away

Regards

Chris

barlow is usually not a good idea btw ... barlow 2x ll increase the exposure needed by 4x so you better off without barlow and then just crop the image that way you should get more light in therefore more color and detail

GL with AP its hard work but rewarding :)

It was utter luck tbh, i managed to get focus perfect and started at 5second exposure i set it to 10 by mistake and got the smallest hint of colour so just tried 30 and this is what i got, its by far the best picture ive took im so happy, i took 10 HAHA! i got a tad giddy :)

well done! a very nice start, you could stack those ten in DSS and get perhaps an even better image!

I will stack them, that was the plan so I took a decent number of them, I haven't a clue how to stack though, I've got all software to do

It but don't understand how to take darks, flats etc :/ there's nothing more I'd love to do then stack the 10 I took :(

Don't worry about flats and darks etc, just stack your light frames and see what you get.

Darks will help with fixed pattern noise and will improve the result, but you can experiment with that later...

There is a bit of flaring which looks like you may have nudged the camera when opening the shutter? If that's the case then you might consider using the camera's timer to open the shutter.

But well done!

Don't worry about flats and darks etc, just stack your light frames and see what you get.

Darks will help with fixed pattern noise and will improve the result, but you can experiment with that later...

There is a bit of flaring which looks like you may have nudged the camera when opening the shutter? If that's the case then you might consider using the camera's timer to open the shutter.

But well done!

i don't know how to set the camera up like that yet, the little tails on the stars I think are from me not using an EQ mount? At least that's what I've been told before I don't know if its true not

Regards

Chris

i don't know how to set the camera up like that yet, the little tails on the stars I think are from me not using an EQ mount? At least that's what I've been told before I don't know if its true not

Regards

Chris

Hmmm. If the little tails were from star trailing then I'd expect the drift to be constant and you'd get stars that look like little lines of equal width - this looks to me much more like movement when opening the shutter or from nudging the mount during the exposure and I think you can cure it by remotely opening the shutter or using the camera's timer function.

Hmmm. If the little tails were from star trailing then I'd expect the drift to be constant and you'd get stars that look like little lines of equal width - this looks to me much more like movement when opening the shutter or from nudging the mount during the exposure and I think you can cure it by remotely opening the shutter or using the camera's timer function.

Now you have said that I think it will be from touching the camera to take the picture, I'm looking into buying a remote shutter so I don't need to touch the camera at all when it's connected to the scope

Now you have said that I think it will be from touching the camera to take the picture, I'm looking into buying a remote shutter so I don't need to touch the camera at all when it's connected to the scope

Have a look in the camera manual because on some cameras if you use the timer it implements mirror lock, which will also mean less vibration. I wouldn't bother getting a remote release, just get some matte black card and make a flat piece of card. Hold it over the end of the tube when you start the exposure, and after a couple of seconds quickly move the card away without touching the tube. It's dead easy and works a treat

Have a look in the camera manual because on some cameras if you use the timer it implements mirror lock, which will also mean less vibration. I wouldn't bother getting a remote release, just get some matte black card and make a flat piece of card. Hold it over the end of the tube when you start the exposure, and after a couple of seconds quickly move the card away without touching the tube. It's dead easy and works a treat

the tips I've picked up on this site are priceless, ill give that ago next time I'm out thanks for that :)

Regards

Chris

Archived