NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone used a SupaTrak mount yet?

A McEwan

Hi all.

I'm fascinated by the new SupaTrak setups by Skywatcher. I like the idea of a light easy to use alt-az mount - that thinks it's an EQ and tracks for you! I've read Ade AShford's review, and he says they're great, but I'm just looking for any more hands-on experiences from any of you. I'm thinking it would be a good g'n'g combo with my ED80. I'm particularly curious about tracking at mid-high powers, and whether the accuracy with which you set North and Level at the beginning of the session can affect the accuracy of the tracking.

Thanks in advance.

Ant

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

The review states that the mount accepts Viken/Synta style dovetails, which is handy, and does not have GoTo capability - only tracking, which is fine by me. I've tried GoTo and find it easier (and sometimes quicker) to find things by myself, but tracking is nice.

:smiley:

I've written a number of posts on the SLT mount which this is identical to apart from the controller. I would expect if you were to purchase this mount you could upgrade it to GOTO with the addition of a GOTO controller (£99 from DHinds) but personally I think you would be better purchasing something a little more robust as it looks like it's using the old GT tripod which was TERRIBLE

Gordon, you used "GoTo" and "upgrade" in the same sentence! How could you?!?! :nono: :smiley:

My main interest in this mount is as an alt-az mount that does tracking. I emailed some questions to the reviewer at the link above, and he seemed to think that it would handle an ED-80 at high power with no problems at all.

Still thinking...

AM

I experimented with that SLT package when it came out, and found the sturdiness to be ok, but the GoTo frsutrating. If he SupaTrak is indeed similar (and it looks it) to the SLT and tracks (with no GoTo) then it could be ideal...

AM

Hi - I've used the 80GT for a while. I thought the mount was OK for a small scope, but I found it frustrating that the go-to would show a long list of objects that were not really feasible for such a small scope, particularly under less than perfect skies. I've mounted the 80mm refractor on the Celestron CG-5 recently, with a couple of tube rings from FLO, and the scope can really show its mettle then. It's a really nice widefield set up like this. With a big finder, it was easy to get around the sky and I didn't really miss the go-to.

I'm not sure about the value of the supatrak running in alt-az myself, but it might suit some people. Overall I think I prefer eq tracking.

Still those supatrak scopes set ups look like fantastic value. I couldn't believe the prices.

Best wishes

Ed

I totally agree with you Ed, I now mount mine on the HEQ5 Pro with rings from FLO and I love it, especially the way I can mount the camera directly to the scope by taking off the diagonal. My full moon pics were taken like that. I certainly have no plans to sell it. I might try replacing the legs with wooden ones as well as the camera platform.

Karlo

I was under the impression that the Supatrak was a 'beefed up' Nexstar SLT. Is this not the case?

That was sort of the impression I got too - GoTo removed, but tracking retained. I'm seriously considering ordering one just to see for myself how it is with my ED80 attached. Curiosity.... :D I have my Vixen GP for 'serious' driven sessions, but thought this might be handier for quick set-up with tracking, especially when non-astro people are around and want a quick look...

AM

If the mount performs OK then that rig is going to take some beating for a grab'n'go planetary/ lunar setup.

That's what I am thinking. Lunar and planetary are great targets for a light polluted Exeter back-garden!

Archived