Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone used a SupaTrak mount yet?

A McEwan

Sorry if this is a daft question but I don't know much about imaging....

.... would the SupaTrack mount track well enough for basic webcam lunar and planetary imaging using an unmodified Toucam Pro ?.

Thanks

John

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John,

"I found that the SupaTrak was capable of following a celestial object at high magnifications for tens of minutes before slowly drifting out of the field of view, which is perfectly adequate for visual use or simple webcam imaging."

is taken from Ade Ashford's review of the SupaTrak, so I guess if he says it's so it must be worth a try. I have just ordered the 127 Mak package and am really looking forward to it. I've had the 127Mak before (on EQ3.2) and enjoyed using it, so know what to expect optically.

(Why does time pass so s..l..o..w..l..y.. after posting cheques? :D)

John,

"I found that the SupaTrak was capable of following a celestial object at high magnifications for tens of minutes before slowly drifting out of the field of view, which is perfectly adequate for visual use or simple webcam imaging."

is taken from Ade Ashford's review of the SupaTrak, so I guess if he says it's so it must be worth a try. I have just ordered the 127 Mak package and am really looking forward to it. I've had the 127Mak before (on EQ3.2) and enjoyed using it, so know what to expect optically.

(Why does time pass so s..l..o..w..l..y.. after posting cheques? :D)

Thanks for that - I should have spotted that in Ade's review :D

I'm thinking of getting one to use with my ED102SS which weighs about the same as the 127 MAK but is a bit longer. Not sure whether to splash out on one with an OTA (eg: the one you have just purchased) and use both OTA's or just go for the mount alone :D

I'd like to try some lunar and planetary imaging with a webcam using those OTA's (probably the Mak would be best for that) as well.

I'd be interested to know what you think of it when it arrives.

John

It should arrive today Jamie.

Have just discovered that there are no more 130 or 127 SupaTrack scopes available until late Nov - early Dec :crybaby:

I wonder if the price will have risen by then ? - the 127 Mak version currently looks great value at £290 ish.

John

Got my SupaTrak 127 Mak yesterday, and the 127 is a beaut, this is the 2nd one i have owned and regretted selling the 1st one :D I haven't tried out the mount as yet (power pack on charge) but the dovetail clamp is better than the SLT version which i own.

The SupaTrak tracking appears to be simplicity at it's best and will give it a run out over the weekend. Anyone out there who has a Vixen Portamount is gonna love the 127 Mak, it really is a nicely balanced setup for those ocassions when you don't feel like using powered tracking. I used this set up last night on the 127 Mak and got some excellent views of the double cluster, M31, Pleiades (close in on a 40mm celestron EP) Comet Holmes (scary) and Mars at 300x. These are going to sell like hotcakes.

Glad you're enjoying your 127, Colonel C! It sounds just like how I remember the views through my old one! Thanks for reminding me - must dig out my power pack. I look forward to hearing what you think of Mars through it.

AM

• 2 weeks later...

My Skymax 127 SupaTrak arrived today. I've put it together but it's chucking it down at the moment so 1st light may be a way off :D

1st impressions:

- Great packing - boxes within boxes within boxes then loads of bubble wrap to boot :D

- 127 Mak OTA - very nicely put together, looks great, so compact yet a good quality "heft" to it :lol:

- Accessories - standard Skywatcher diagonal, finder (6x30 optical) eyepieces + barlow - as expected.

- Mount - feels very solid, reminds me of my old Nextstar 5 GOTO. Good dovetail fitting but no 2nd safety screw. Quiet slewing at all speeds (even 800x !). Mostly made of cast metal.

- Tripod - good height but seems rather feeble. Not as robust as the AZ-3 alluminum tripod :(

- Manual - basic but OK.

Overall seems well worth the asking price (OTA alone was probably worth that). True test to come of course (clouds / rain willing). I'm hoping that the mount will carry my Vixen ED102SS which is the same weight as the 127 Mak. We will see ..... may have to replace that tripod.

John

Excellent! :D

I've ordered an AstroTech 1/10wave 99% dielectric diagonal to get the best out of mine, and would hope to upgrade the tripod legs in the future.

800X slewing?!?!?! I didn't know it went that fast! :(

Can't wait for mine to arrive...

Archived