Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light - Wow!

jamcart

My dob (GS880 10" from TS) arrived while I was at work, and when I got home I quickly started setting it up. My daughter helped with most of the build, and was really excited (not just by the surprise packet of haribo delivered with it - thanks Michael @ TS!), but as she's only five she had to go to bed before I got it assembled.

After my surprise at how quickly it came together (particularly with my DIY skills) I was even more surprised at how quickly it was collimated using a laser collimator; secondary mirror didn't need anything, Primary just a few turns. I realised I needed to line up the 8x50 finder, but couldn't wait so shifted her out to the garden to cool.

She cooled down quickly, and while using the moon to align the finder roughly and Jupiter to fine tune the alignment, I was awestruck by amazing views of the Moon and Jupiter and it's moons with the 30mm wide angle lens. Moved to the 9mm and picked out incredible detail of the Moon and a great view of Jupiter's bands - wow! Took a look over at Betelgeuse too, and by that time I'd been out for an hour and a half, so came in too thrilled to be cold and carefully put the kit away.

Looking forward to sharing the views with my daughter tonight if skies are clear, more views of the Moon, Jupiter and searching for some DSOs. I might even try a few Moon shots over the next week.

Thanks to you all for your advice, and TS for great and fast service. It feels like we've embarked on a journey to other worlds (which, in a way, we have)!

Clear skies!

Congrats on the new scope! We've got a 10 inch GSO dob too from TS - I love it! A lot of aperture, a low hassle scope (so long as the large size is not a problem), and I find it relatively easy to move. I got a cracking view of M51 the Whirlpool galaxy a few weeks back, while the moon was out of the way. Have fun exploring!

Your daughter will not need a stool to stand on :eek: , she will need a scope to look through. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Preferably the same size as yours or bigger. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Come to think of it by tonight it could no longer be your scope. :p :p :p

Archived