Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hercules globular clusters.

cotterless45

M13 was dazzling this morning after the Moon had set. In a 15mm SW Panorama, it was just diamonds scattered on black silk . The faint smudge was the galaxy NGC 6207.

M92 was lovely and I found the smaller and compact NGC 6229 at x120. Well worth finding.

Lyra and Cygnus were rising in the north east, so I had a quick look at M27 and M57. Cassiopeia was low in the north, it's lovely to see it set over the roof tops in the evening then reappear.

Nick.

Hey Nick, good for you! Totally agree about seeing Cass hovering low on the horizon, looks really magical.

You had some company with M13 as I also took the opportunity in that vicinity. My session didn't start till about 4:30 and had never been up to see Lyra and Cynus rise like that (I'm pretty new to prolonged observing). Cool stuff. Sadly I didn't see more than a smudge because of a thin film of dew and couldnt resolve anything at 130x. Glad you saw much more! Am I right in thinking you were at 84x? I wouldn't be able to make out any detail on M13 at that mag with my scope but then it is half the aperture of yours!!! :Envy:

I have to say that M3 was well impressive when I saw it on Saturday from near Dungeness. I went to see an old friend down that way and chanced taking my LX10. Glad I did.

I have never been able to resolve any stars in any globs. M3 was my first DSO when I bought my SW 90mm Mak (first telescope) and ever since then I have wanted to resolve as many stars as possible in globs as these are my favourite DSOs.

The view through my later scope, Meade LX10, with 12mm and then 7mm EPs gave me substantial resolution a fair way into the glob, bearing in mind there was half a moon too, I was totally blown away. Awesome sight! Can’t wait to try M13 on a moonless night.

M13 was dazzling this morning after the Moon had set. In a 15mm SW Panorama, it was just diamonds scattered on black silk . The faint smudge was the galaxy NGC 6207.

M92 was lovely and I found the smaller and compact NGC 6229 at x120. Well worth finding.

Lyra and Cygnus were rising in the north east, so I had a quick look at M27 and M57. Cassiopeia was low in the north, it's lovely to see it set over the roof tops in the evening then reappear.

Nick.

M13 is on my to do list but having only bought my scope at the end of last year & the terrible weather I've still to see it (spent the rare clear nights on M42, Jupiter & the Moon) Hope it'll be just as good a sight in my 200p? :grin:

Steve

Thanks for whetting the appetite Nick, couldn't quite keep my eyes open long enough last night for M13 and M92 to clear the rooftops :(

@nephilim - my 8" resolves a lot of stars even with bad LP whereas I don't remember my 6" showing more than a fuzzy patch. Once they're higher in the sky I'll look forward to trying again :cool: So hopefully you'll be pleased with your 200p.

Thanks for whetting the appetite Nick, couldn't quite keep my eyes open long enough last night for M13 and M92 to clear the rooftops frown.gif

@nephilim - my 8" resolves a lot of stars even with bad LP whereas I don't remember my 6" showing more than a fuzzy patch. Once they're higher in the sky I'll look forward to trying again cool.gif So hopefully you'll be pleased with your 200p.

Thanks Dunkster, its definatley on my 'next' list. :grin:

Steve

@nephilim - my 8" resolves a lot of stars even with bad LP whereas I don't remember my 6" showing more than a fuzzy patch. Once they're higher in the sky I'll look forward to trying again :cool: So hopefully you'll be pleased with your 200p.

Would most agree that I should be able to resolve some of M13 with a 5" newt or not? (Say for the sake of argument that my back yard is mag 5 due to LP). I was just wondering if I have a collimation issue that needs to be sorted out which prevents me from seeing more than a fuzzy patch. It's just that the fuzzy patch is so big that bothers me!

M13 was the first thing I ever pointed my 10 inch at. I loved it in a 6 inch and my first views of it in the 10 inch, with seemingly all the centre resolved was a wow moment that's etched into memory forevermore. As good as the first time I saw jupiter with the 150. Globs are my absolute favorite DSO type. They show lots of lovely detail despite light pollution, far more forgiving of my urban setting. Wispy galaxies are nice but show little, open clusters are lovely but globs are where its at for me.

When it comes to resolving the stars in globular clusters there really is no substitute for aperture. The brighter globulars look nice with my 4" and 4.7" refractors with the outer fringes of stars resolved but put 10" or 12" of aperture on them and they are resolved across the core and look pretty much like their photos. I like to use 200x plus on them so the field of view starts to be dominated by the tightly packed ball of stars :smiley:

I had a look at M13 with a 20" dob a few years back - simply stunning :shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people look at M13 which looks good in just about any optics you would care to point at it, but miss out on M92 which, as its core is so compact

and bright is actually just as easy to find even with binos.

M92 is my favourite Globular in Hercules as there is such a difference between the core and the outskirts, it looks like there is plenty going on out there.

My favourite Globular though, will appear in the summer as I am lucky enough to live on the south coast where M20 can rise well up out of the gloom.

M20 is a huge, majestic looking thing, and just as its rival M13 does, it has a smaller bright companion (M28) to compare it with.

I am used to seeing M13 and M20 with my 8" Newtonian, I strongly suspect that a veiw through a 16" or larger scope would neccessitate the use of a de-fibrillator.

Clear skies, Mick IOW

Well I finally got to see M13 last Wednesday night (actually 2am thurs morn) & yes I was more than impressed by the sight through my 200p, at first it was little more than a ball of cotten wool but after about 2/3 mins on it the core really started to come out with many stars beautifully resolved. I went to bed tired but VERY happy. :grin:

Steve

Archived