skymax 127 first time out query

Hi All and after reading really helpful posts on here I have just started my journey into space.

Im really pleased and impressed with the sky max 127 and last night viewed Jupiter Moon and Sirius all really clear even with a 10mm lens on a 2xBarlow all suppiled with the scope for a newbie like me. It is supported on a Synscan goto tripod which for me I find very good as light and portable and slowly getting to grips with the set up which not too difficult (yet). Just a few questions.

1 when viewing Sirius at high magnification it appeared as a black object with a very bright surround a bit like a bright polo mint, is this normal.

2 what size/ type of additional lenses would I need to get me started.

Thanks in advance

Welcome LoP!

1 This would indicate that you have not focussed correctly. The black circle you can see is actually the secondary obstruction at the front of the scope. You need to adjust focus until it is a sharp point of light.

2. Take a look in the Equipment - Eyepieces section. There is lots of good information in there regarding 'next step' eyepieces. Basically, you'll be looking for good quality, entry level Plossl - something like Meade 4000 series, or similar.

The eyepieces that I use most with my Mak 127 are the 12mm and 18mm BSTs and a 32mm (cannot recall the source off-hand) which gives about the widest view practical with the central tube obstruction of a Mak. I rarely use the Skywatcher lenses provided as they are certainly of a "lesser quality".

Do get familiar with your telescope as it is before you invest in new bits. Once you know what you want to focus your observations on then you can better choose what you want.

Thanks (diolch) all really helpful good to have recommendations as so much gear out there. Just waiting for my 240v power supply to arrive as think it will also improve things from the 8 x AA which OK but goto started to do funny things after an hour or so,

Cheers Ed I saw a good article on here showing how to calculate and got similar for lens size there was a offer on new SW scopes for a lens set 50% off but do not remember lens sizes . I think mine is known as a slow scope but may speed up once I change battery pack. Like the sound of the bike battery idea also.

Croeso - don't think you will be disappointed with the scope - love mine.

BST explorers certainly offer the best "bang for your buck" - and don't feel that you have to buy half a dozen to "get a set".

90% of my observing is with only two eps - 9mm & 32mm.

I would, however, encourage replacing the standard Skywatcher barlow (which is poor) with almost any other if you intend to use a barlow. A TAL 2x is outstanding value for money.

Hi, I have the same scope and have found it to be a brill bit of kit. I have also got a selection of BST eyepieces ( 8mm, 15mm and 18mm) they are brilliant and a vast improvment on the the ones that came with the scope. I would recomond them.

Archived