Help with new Skywatcher telescope!!

sueella

Hei all,

Im Ella, 14 years old and have been into astronomy for a while now. Ive just got a Skywatcher SynScan go-to telescope for Xmas (only just unpacked it as we moved house). Was really hoping to get going as the sky here in Norway is clear right now but im afraid to say i am stumped and cannot work out how to put it all together!! I have followed the instructions and managed to erect the tripod and fix the scope to it but now i am stuck (my Mum came to help but she is also clueless!!).

I feel a bit daft because i really need step by step instruction. What does the red dot finder look like? There doesnt seem to be any instructions as to which bit goes where!!

can anyone help?? thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL, Ella.

The instructions are widely recognised to be difficult to follow so don't worry, you're not alone. It might help to know exactly which model of telescope you have, but generally the red dot finder will look something like this:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-red-dot-finder/p10682?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-astronomy-accessories-_-astronomy-finders-_-sky-watcher-red-dot-finder_10682&utm_source=googlebase-extension&gclid=cnusio2wsbucfabltaodefoaua

Perhaps a little different in design, but that should give you the general idea.

If you're stuck, posting a photo of how far you've got might help, as would posting over in one of the "Getting started" forums.

James

Hi Ella welcome to SGL, hope you get it sorted soon, youtube would be a good place to check and like james has pointed out if your still stuck post again in the "getting started section".

but dont fret you`ll be flying around the stars before you know it.

Hi Ella and welcome to the forum. As others have mentioned, a little bit more information about what you have would help us help you further and a photo of all the contents of the boxes would be great as we can help identify what is what and where it should go. It won't be long before we get you up and running - thank goodness for the internet and forums like these!!! :grin::hello2:

Clear skies and await further information.

James

Thanks everyone, its a Explorer 130p AZGT (thats what it says anyway) in the box is tripod,scope itself, finder scope, 2x barlow lens, super 10mm eyepiece, super 25 wide angle long eye relief (?!) a screwdriver and triangular piece of metal (god knows what thats for) a small lens that i think is a filter lens, and the synscan and battery pack. and of course those wonderful instructions that dont help at all... thanks again! I will try and send a photo asap.

Thanks again, Ella :)

Thanks everyone, its a Explorer 130p AZGT (thats what it says anyway) in the box is tripod,scope itself, finder scope, 2x barlow lens, super 10mm eyepiece, super 25 wide angle long eye relief (?!) a screwdriver and triangular piece of metal (god knows what thats for) a small lens that i think is a filter lens, and the synscan and battery pack. and of course those wonderful instructions that dont help at all... thanks again! I will try and send a photo asap.

Thanks again, Ella :)

I remember a small triangular piece of metal. I honestly can't recall what it was for though. It may have been for use on screws that are too big for the screwdriver or, if it has hexagonal holes punched in it, it's probably pretending to be a spanner.

I believe this is the one you have:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-explorer-130p-synscan-az-goto.html

Does that look right?

James

how do I send a picture on here?

If you start a reply and then click on "more reply options" at the bottom right, it should switch you to a screen with a message preview and an input box with options to upload images underneath labelled "Attach Files".

James

Archived