byeos or apt??

nephilim

As I'm awaiting arrival of a 'new to me' camera, i'm considering one of the above. Can anyone explain the pro's & con's of these (I'm a total newbie when it comes to imaging) & maybe a conclusion to which one would be better for someone just starting out. Thanks

Steve

You can try them both out if you wish to.

To the best of my recollection APT restricts access to some features unless you've paid the (small) amount for it, but they don't stop you actually doing an imaging run to see how it suits you and if you didn't want the extra features you wouldn't have to pay at all. BYE gives you access to all its features for something like 30 days, at which point you have to pay.

I happened to pick APT first, found I got on with it, paid my twelve Euros or whatever it was and I've been happy with it since.

James

You can try them both out if you wish to.

To the best of my recollection APT restricts access to some features unless you've paid the (small) amount for it, but they don't stop you actually doing an imaging run to see how it suits you and if you didn't want the extra features you wouldn't have to pay at all. BYE gives you access to all its features for something like 30 days, at which point you have to pay.

I happened to pick APT first, found I got on with it, paid my twelve Euros or whatever it was and I've been happy with it since.

James

Thanks James, I think i'll do that, all I was thinking about was getting the free 30days byeos trial & then for 30 days of cloud to follow. I'll try APT first & then 'if' the weather improves & theres a chance of a couple of clear nights :rolleyes: get the 30 day byeos, then decide between the two..

Steve

Tried them both and got on better with APT than BYEOS , nothing I could really put my finger on , just a personal preference.

When I was researching the two I very much got the impression that the biggest difference between them was down to personal preference rather than functionality.

James

Hi Steve,

I recently purchased a licence for byeos to use with my Canon 600d. Due to the weather I've only had one opportunity to use it so far and that was to image Jupiter. I found the software straight forward to use with a number of advantages over the free eos utility software that comes with Canon. The main advantage being the conversion to avi which worked seamlessly with registax. That said I believe the latest version of PIPP now converts canon .mov files to avi anyway.

I can't comment on APT as I have never used it but I have read reviews comparing both and they're is not much between them in terms of popularity. I have heard people comment saying BYEOS is easier to use.

I would suggest taking advantage of the free 30 day trial that you can request for BYEOS which is for the full version. I believe apt offer a similar trial though I have not looked into this myself.

Hope this helps.

Al

I had byeos on a trial and never got to use it as the trial ran out and im still waiting for the clouds to clear, ive been using apt for about 6 months and it does everthing i want it to do, i liked the look off byeos over apt but i thought it was more aimed at the capture side and couldnt get it work with my gt-eq5 but as i said the weathers been awfull and it was to much trouble to set it all up in the living room to try and sort it. Apt is also cheeper v2.10 was released today with some new things to play with.

I had byeos on a trial and never got to use it as the trial ran out and im still waiting for the clouds to clear, ive been using apt for about 6 months and it does everthing i want it to do, i liked the look off byeos over apt but i thought it was more aimed at the capture side and couldnt get it work with my gt-eq5 but as i said the weathers been awfull and it was to much trouble to set it all up in the living room to try and sort it. Apt is also cheeper v2.10 was released today with some new things to play with.

Yeah, that was my thinking with the free trial.......I'd never get the most out of it, just downloaded APT so i'll see how that goes, well i will when my camera finally arrives :mad:

only ever used BYE and its great! you wont be disappointed with it :) and saying you will probably get 30 days of cloud, that pretty much happened to me lol but BYE are great and they gave me another 30 days where i hardly had any time/chance to use the 1st 30 day, everything i could want for my canon tbh :D

Clear skies

Martin

You'll have no problems if you BYE trial runs out, Guylain (the author) will almost certainly give you another 30 day trial if you email and ask. I do think it is worth trying to compare the two when just starting out. I found BYE much easier to use at the outset as it has less going on in the interface making mistakes easier to avoid. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of APT but does have everything you need to take good DSLR images.

I am now trying to use AstroTortilla for plate solving and it integrates with APT (whereas have to take and select snapshots manually with BYE), so I have now purchased both products. Just starting to figure out APT as I haven't used it since the trial version quite some time ago. APT seems fairly logical and has more features than BYE, but it has re-confirmed my opinion that BYE has a shorter learning curve for the beginner.

Will do so Yoddha. I am reporting the crash every time if happens with the Microsoft " report this error" function in XP. Do you not get these crash reports as a developer ? I will try reinstalling and see what happens.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived