Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Terrible image of ISON, ~2am 07/02/13

Last night I thought I'd try and see if I could capture an early image of Comet C/2012 S1. ISON was 373 million miles away at the time and "shining" at a dim magnitude of 15.5

Perhaps quite ambitious for my kit at the best of times, it was also quite windy which wreaked havoc with the guiding, hence the terrible image quality. You can just about see it moving in the centre of the image (the top corner of a very faint triangle).

I look forward to imaging ISON in the future, hopefully it will get a little bit brighter than this ;)

450d, ISO-800, 4x300s before the clouds rolled in.

gallery_5051_1849_1230668.gif

Agree with Luke, its a great capture, is this with your 150P ?

Yep, the 150P-DS. I think 15.5 is right on the limit of what I can achieve with a single, 5min sub!

PS, i asume this is just random noise moving around, or a spaceship?

Hmm... can't be 100% sure but I think it's random noise, or at least within the limits of noise.

However, I have just investigated a bit and found an asteroid within the field. It's "1375 Alfreda" at mag 14.7 :D. I'll have to try this with the other image sets sat on my HDD!

gallery_5051_1849_453191.gif

Archived