Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a good night with some new to me kit m51

Daniel-K

i had some new bits delivered QHY5 and a cls filter so blessed with clear skies i could not resist, i got a decent m42 for just 50 min worth of data, then went over to m106 and spent 2 hours on that till m51 was high enough, still trying to get the feel for the fast scope, theres still something about the collimation though i cant nail.

so heres 1.5 hours on M51 the darks were from another set the camera is taking matching darks as we speak and i will take decent flats tomorrow but i just wanted to see what the data was like and im pleased :D

post-6284-0-12106200-1360204885_thumb.pn

restacked with matching darks. flats are old i plan on taking on my days off so i have left the camera in the scope till then. this looks a bit better but im wondering if the short time i have left in between my subs is causing me my issues with noise? do i need to get pixinsight? how good is it on dslr data?

any tips trick or help would be great

Dan da man :D

post-6284-0-14390400-1360231795_thumb.jp

Dan - a beautiful image and nice to see such a widefield. The coma corrector certainly does its job - is this the standard SW or the new Aplanatic coma corrector?

this is just the SW one i may sell this one though and get the dedicated one, although this does cover all my chip to the corners. the image is a slight crop to take way the black edges but its probably 80% of the fov

Great start, already a lot of detail there for a relatively short time - very nice indeed :) It's good to see an old friend back again too - I did quite a lot on M51 last year but with some lovely new kit now I can hardly wait :D

Thats a brilliant start Dan I especially like the second version! amazing signal for the time spent so far I spent 5.5 hours last year on M51 with my Wo66 and my image isn't much deeper than your 1.5 hours!:D M51 is my favourite galaxy so I'm very much looking forward to going to town on it with my f/5 200p at 1000mm focal length:)

heres a x3 drizzle a bit harsh but it was rushed and i need sleep before i start on nights, i must need more darks theres 18 lights 37 darks@ 300secs iso 800 and 20 flats. the seeing must have dropped off cause theres a fair bit of noise

post-6284-0-42322600-1360236701_thumb.jp

had another go this time using quick mas and a bit of noise reduction, i think its came out ok. theres a image of my histogram i reckon thats the most i can get out of the image without the noise kicking in too much, what do you think? im struggling with noise in the color areas

Dan

post-6284-0-89105200-1360330317_thumb.jp

post-6284-0-76331400-1360330629_thumb.pn

Archived