Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie, hello, and where to star't

keefnet

To be honest, if the 10" is a stretch then I'd go for the 8". The 10" has fairly fast optics which makes it quite demanding of eyepieces meaning you end up having to spend a fair bit to get ones that work well.

As far as I'm aware the 250PX is only available as a flextube model now, so unless you had a second hand one I don't think i would be practical to put on an equatorial mount. If you want to put the scope on an equatorial mount I think you really need the solid tube version. Even then I'm really not sure a HEQ5 would take a 10" newt. Even Skywatcher sell it on a NEQ6 I think and telescopes do tend to get sold on the cheapest mount they can get away with.

I'm not aware that any of the Skywatcher dobs can be motorised after purchase. I'm sure it must be possible, but I've never seen the parts for sale that I can recall.

James

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and now looking at Skywatcher Skyliner 200P GOTO Dobsonian Telescope, that's a reasonable £760. Has the manual override that makes the Dobsonian easy to point and look, with the goto feature ... I think the recommendation would still be to get the standard 200P first, then upgrade to a good motorised mount down the line. that 200P GOTO looks very cool though.

Hi Keefnet and welcome to SGL, the forum is living up to its reputation and you already have a wealth of information to consider, if I remember, Astro_Baby did a good comparison in something like how big is your scope, I am sure someone will find it, but once you go above the 200P which is about the limit for an EQ5, ( better on an HEQ5 ) then you are into EQ6 territory and the £ mount up, whatever you end up with, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Thanks John, yes a load of information in such a short time and I feel kinda bad that I eluded to my budget and now I'm creeping into bigger and hopefully better territory -- sometimes I really can't help myself and now keen to get engaged in this intriguing hobby - but I do have to wait for my birthday. With the information thus far -- the 200p Dobsonian seems the choice, with a future upgrade to a quality motor mount, but if I were to stretch now to the 200P GOTO with the extending tube, am I being a bit dumb jumping into that now rather than the non-GOTO and wait a while? The GOTO Dobsonian does seem to offer the works within a reasonable budget, with the perceived benefit of restricting my upgrade options later (although I guess if/when I want to go mad and get bigger and start shed conversions, I can sell the 200p GOTO - assuming that's what I started with). Decisions... and I got some weeks yet before I get her to order it..... and "Hi" to Dana - "go Red Sox".... OK ,Michigan isn't the Sox, but I frequent Boston often, what can I say!

Thanks Johnny -- I just seem to be pushing the envelope that bit further -- at least when I showed the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P GOTO Dobsonian Telescope to my wife on the web site she didn't freak out -- that's a positive, right? :grin:

Thanks Pete and Pat. Now I am looking at going up a scale in mount and opting for the 250P and NEQ6 Pro SynScan.... satisfies my viewing requirement but as an equatorial mount, can move to photography when I get additional add-on's. talking about £1400 initial outlay but sets me up nicely I feel. Few weeks before I order so hopefully I can get to see something in the flesh beforehand. I think I have the room for that OK.

Thanks again to everyone for "hello's" and making me welcome. I got my scope and mount yesterday, just in time to see the Asteroid fly-by --- but, 1) It was cloudy here pretty much all evening and 2) you don't expect I'd know how to actually find an asteroid within a few hours of unpacking my 1st ever scope -- I didn't and fortunately with the cloud, I didn't disappoint myself. I posted some pics of unpacking and the finished setup on my gallery - I may start a new equipment thread if I manage to get the SkySafari working via Bluetooth to the mount -- maybe a simple fix as it didn't work 1st time (maybe a cable issue). Cheers again -- :grin:

Archived