Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary EP Advice

Hi there - I am looking to upgrade from a standard Celestron Plossl to a better quality planetary eyepiece. The scope is an 150mm x 1800mm MAK (f12). At the moment the 9mm Plossl is giving the best views in terms of mag. and clarity. However, I think I could probably get a better quality image from the scope with an improved eyepiece. 6mm seems to be a step too far and the image breaks down.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Budget is up to £80.00 or so.

Thanks.

Ed

If you know you'll only want them for planetary/ lunar views and you don't wear specs when observing then some S/H orthos are the best value. The eye relief (hence no specs) is tight and the FOV is a little narrow but on-axis they are unbeatable IMHO.

I will get in trouble with the Mods if I post you a link but we sell a Baader Genuine Orthoscopic 9mm e/p for £68.00 and we have this in stock. This has Baaders proprity PHANTOM GROUP MULTI-COATINGS.

sorry I can't direct you straight to it :smiley: check my posts in the retailer section if you need a link to the website.

I have no issues posting links hehe

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=bgortho

http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=32658&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3899

The baader orthos are pretty good. If you DO need the eye relief though, look to the Televue Radians, which have a 20mm ER

sorry I can't direct you straight to it :evil: check my posts in the retailer section if you need a link to the website.

You could always put a link to the website in the sig of your 'Adam Hinds' account? :smiley:

I have done, but I can't post that here so it has no use whatsover to this post :?

sorry I can't direct you straight to it :evil: check my posts in the retailer section if you need a link to the website.

You could always put a link to the website in the sig of your 'Adam Hinds' account? :smiley:

I have done, but I can't post that here so it has no use whatsover to this post :?

I'm sure people have the wherewithall to navigate rounnd your site to find the orthos?

At the moment the 9mm Plossl is giving the best views in terms of mag. and clarity. However, I think I could probably get a better quality image from the scope with an improved eyepiece. 6mm seems to be a step too far and the image breaks down.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Budget is up to £80.00 or so.

Thanks.

Ed

If a 6mm "seems a step too far" your choice is going to be somewhat restricted. You could check out the WO Swan range their 9mm at £59 is well within budget and it offers a 72deg FOV with 12mm eye relief.

Cheers

CW

I'm sure people have the wherewithall to navigate rounnd your site to find the orthos?

I'm sure they can but I think you misunderstood. i have already put a link my signature in my other account, but as that is only permitted to post in the retailers section, what relevance does that have here?

Hi there to all - many thanks for the input. That's given me some things to think about and mull over.

It's good to have the advice of some experienced people to draw on.

Take care - let's hope the skies clear soon.

Best wishes.

Ed

Arthur, the signatures only appear ONCE per thread now. It's an effort to trim the fat in long threads involving people with large signatures. Theres more bytes in sigs than in the actual messages otherwise hehe

Oh right - excellent idea. Care to let me know how to do that? I can think of a couple of other places it might be handy :smiley:

Arthur

Archived