Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs - Heads Up

Better than I expected. Wish i could have got the scope on it, but I had to drive a couple of miles down the road and park on the side for a good western horizon. Funny thing is I couldn't see it at first and then started following a plane in the bins. the plane flew right past the comet.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thankfully the clouds stayed away from the west tonight and the comet was easily seen with 7x36 bins. the fanned tail was obvious and it's the best view I have had of a comet since I got back into astronomy. if you have it in the field and it's dark enough, you really cannot miss it even with low power bins. hope everyone gets it soon! it was a lot brighter than I expected and higher.

Nice one Shane :smiley:

I actually managed to see it myself this evening, despite having a stinking cold and having to taxi my daughter home from Uni right on the critical time. I rushed upstairs with my 10x50 binoculars and soon picked the comet up below and to the right of the moon. It looked really nicely defined despite it's low altitude with a tight bright head and a shallow chevron shaped tail streaming out. With the 10x50's the visible tail seemed at least half a degree long, using the moon as a yardstick. It was just visible to the naked eye once found with binoculars. A lovely sight against the pink / blue sky :smiley:

Missed it this evening :(

Typically, it has been cloudy here until about twenty minutes ago, by which time it was just too low to be able to see, even with bins. The only thing I could pick up in that area at all was 6 Psc which is well East of it. The Moon looks lovely though.

James

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! saw it :grin: wall to wall clouds at 6:30 survived a hail/snow storm, freezing fingers again, & drove home only for it to clear slightly on the way home. spotted the crescent moon, so pulled into the first layby and walked into a field. she is brighter than i expected with a fairly healthy tail as well, looking forward to seeing her again after this very brief view.

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! saw it :grin: wall to wall clouds at 6:30 survived a hail/snow storm, freezing fingers again, & drove home only for it to clear slightly on the way home. spotted the crescent moon, so pulled into the first layby and walked into a field. she is brighter than i expected with a fairly healthy tail as well, looking forward to seeing her again after this very brief view.

Did you see it with the naked eye or with binos? It is definitely much brighter today than the past two days. Looked nice in the binos but still not visible to the naked eye for me?

hi all , got it here in galloway, s/w scotland, was easy in 10x50 binn's, and was naked eye too, did not spot it till 7.05pm, managed to get the cannon on it with a 200m len's, and a wider view with the 4% cresent moon. happy now....

Did you see it with the naked eye or with binos? It is definitely much brighter today than the past two days. Looked nice in the binos but still not visible to the naked eye for me?

bino's you could not mistake it for anything else quite bright.managed 2 very rushed images before the clouds rolled back in, both poorly focused but you can still tell its panstarrs!

spotted tonight in Dumfries! drove out of town to the hill overlooking the town from the east, no joy and packed it in at 6.45 then drove home.

I had one last look from my back yard in town arount 710 -7:15 and there it was. Much lower than the moon and to the right. there was still a lighitsh sky behind but the fan tail is obvious through 15X70 binos. Ill be back on the hillside tomorrow night and take the camera now i know when and where to look.

yaayy... got it in the Binos at last.. further west / right of the Moon & higher than I expected... in between some slow dark clouds. By the time I had the camera pointed they had covered it :mad: ..

Still I'd say it was verging on naked eye.. got new glasses yesterday.. they paid off! The other half reckoned she could see it too. Going to be too low to get at from the Obsy though.

Caught it again tonight, although only for a few brief glimpses between clouds. Managed to view it in my 200P around 7pm, nucleus was very bright but the tail was barely noticeable because the sky was still light at that time.

Going by the weather forecast it looks like it'll be my last observation for a while :embarassed:

Spotted just outside Lichfield tonight - took a trek with my hefty tripod and Nikon camera + the 15x70 binos....

Only visible in the binoculars - not naked eye, from about 7.05 - 7.25pm, just above a bank of cloud (lucky) and below/to the right of the moon (west-north west).

Think I got some OK shots - will post in a bit!

Damian

post-4105-0-95431500-1363208418_thumb.jp

Managed to spot it tonight at about 7.30 from Douglas in the Isle of Man. Only visible through the bins but clearly a comet so I'm pretty pleased! (couldn't quite make out the detail of the 2 tails, just a wide fuzzy v shaped tail with an orangey yellowish nucleus) Looking forward to seeing it again! (Fingers crossed)

Got it tonight with the binos here in East Northamts. Sky cleared miraculously and it's now a really good sky down here. It definitely isn't naked eye this far south, but spectacular with the moon showing earth shine.

Another East Northants resident! I was not at all optimistic with a snow shower just before sunset but it turned out great. Unmistakeable as soon as you spotted it

I was really despondent about seeing it tonight. Although the Met Office predicted clear sky over Bristol the cloud was still thick at 16:00 but I'd arranged to meet up with my mate up a hill with some beers and our equipment so thought what the heck. Soooo pleased as the cloud cleared and we got our prize :) It was nice that quite a few people walked by and asked what we were there for and seemed really interested. Felt great :D

Here's my humble pic.

post-15373-136321110157_thumb.jpg

can anyone tell me rought time best for viewing please as i was out at 19.00 could see the moon but no panstarr ? any help please

1900 should have been ok if you had a clear western horizon. Quite a bit lower than the moon and to the right . Although some are saying it was naked eye, I needed bins in my semi urban location

Archived