Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt using a Canon 1100D

Well, i decided i wanted to have a play around with a DSLR so borrowed my brothers 1100D and had a little fun trying out some shots of the night sky.

Considering i live in Birmingham i was expecting the photos to be FULL of orange light pollution....there was some in the photos but not at much as i thought there would be so was a happy chappy! I managed to get some good shots of Jupiter and the Pleiades and also Betelgeuse in Orion...couldnt believe how many stars it shows up compared to the naked eye. :Envy:

i just used the standard 15-55mm lens (as thats all i have) on a tripod and was playing around with iso and shutter speed and really enjoyed actually capturing something i could have to show people! Not that there are too many people i know who would be too bothered haha.

Has anyone got any advice about the best setting to use for star trails? as i would love to just set up the camera for an hour or two whilst i'm using my scope.

Thanks for having a look anyway, just wide sky shots im afraid (no amazing nebulas or galaxies to show) but i love these pics all the same :grin:

Thanks again

Chris

post-27082-0-92994600-1358368833_thumb.j

post-27082-0-13960800-1358368861_thumb.j

post-27082-0-57864600-1358368974_thumb.j

post-27082-0-64692800-1358369010_thumb.j

post-27082-0-39412600-1358369064_thumb.j

http://www.astropix....POD/TRIPOD2.HTM

Hi Chris, It's great to see you are enjoying your initial foray into AP. Have a look at the link above which will help you understand how to get some star trail photos, it's actually quite simple and very rewarding.

If you click next and back on the top right of each page you can navigate through some really good tips and advice.

ps - deep sky stacker which is free can also stack your images to assemble the trails if you shoot continuous 20/30 sec subs.

Hi Chris

Considering where you live, those are really pretty good. It is all trial and error when taking images in a light polluted area. What ISO to use, how long of an exposure to take. Keep at it and you will get it perfect very quickly.

For startrails, there is a great bit of free software here:

http://www.startrail...l/software.html

Its very easy to use and has been updated since that last time i looked.

Also the website mentioned above http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/TRIPOD/TRIPOD2.HTM

is a great site to learn tips and tricks from.

http://www.astropix....POD/TRIPOD2.HTM

Hi Chris, It's great to see you are enjoying your initial foray into AP. Have a look at the link above which will help you understand how to get some star trail photos, it's actually quite simple and very rewarding.

If you click next and back on the top right of each page you can navigate through some really good tips and advice.

ps - deep sky stacker which is free can also stack your images to assemble the trails if you shoot continuous 20/30 sec subs.

Hi Chris

Considering where you live, those are really pretty good. It is all trial and error when taking images in a light polluted area. What ISO to use, how long of an exposure to take. Keep at it and you will get it perfect very quickly.

For startrails, there is a great bit of free software here:

http://www.startrail...l/software.html

Its very easy to use and has been updated since that last time i looked.

Also the website mentioned above http://www.astropix....POD/TRIPOD2.HTM

is a great site to learn tips and tricks from.

Thanks so much guys! I shall be looking and bookmarking the site now :grin: and shall download the software to have a look at too. Its nice to have such a helpful response within just a few minutes, much appreciated :icon_salut:.

I think im going to have to save up now for my own camera! Having photos that you know you personally have taken is a great feeling!

Im hoping to go to Snowdon at some point this year with my scope and camera and to climb Snowdon itself so the skies should be immaculately clear in comparison and should get some really nice shots.

Thanks again all, really appreciated.

Chris :grin:

Chris, If you come to consider a timer controller for your camera so you can automate 99 exposures to a flash card don't be suckered into buying the Canon version at £115, there are plenty of generic timers for between £11 and £15 on Amazon and ebay, they all do the same thing if they are the generic equivalent, didn't want you to be put off by the cost of a timer to reach the next step. This is the type of thing you will be looking for and it just saves you standing at the camera manually exposing each frame.

http://www.amazon.co...58373199&sr=1-1

ps the batteries last for a couple of years not as the reviewer has experienced, his/hers must be a faulty product.

The point at which the light pollution often becomes a problem is when you want to stretch the histogram in photoshop to show up some of the finer detail in long exposure images. Suddenly what didn't look too bad at all can appear quite excessive.

James

Chris, If you come to consider a timer controller for your camera so you can automate 99 exposures to a flash card don't be suckered into buying the Canon version at £115, there are plenty of generic timers for between £11 and £15 on Amazon and ebay, they all do the same thing if they are the generic equivalent, didn't want you to be put off by the cost of a timer to reach the next step. This is the type of thing you will be looking for and it just saves you standing at the camera manually exposing each frame.

http://www.amazon.co...58373199&sr=1-1

ps the batteries last for a couple of years not as the reviewer has experienced, his/hers must be a faulty product.

Again this seems like BRILLIANT advice! I had been thinking about how much a timer/controller would cost for one of these so this is amazing news. i would never have thought you would be able to get one for that price! And i figured that with any kind of AP a controller would be a pretty handy accessory to have.

I am now officially saving for my own camera :grin: haha

Cheers a bunch!

Chris

I am now officially saving for my own camera :grin: haha

There are refurbed American 1100D models that come up on ebay fairly regularly. I think they're about £200, body only. Gina has had at least two to the best of my knowledge. It's also worth considering the 450D if you can pick one up second hand for a fair price.

James

There are refurbed American 1100D models that come up on ebay fairly regularly. I think they're about £200, body only. Gina has had at least two to the best of my knowledge. It's also worth considering the 450D if you can pick one up second hand for a fair price.

James

Cheers James, once i've saved £200 thats when i'll start looking at camera's and i'll be sure to look for those models in particular! shouldn't be too long, i have £120 stashed away from Christmas. Let the saving begin!!!

Chris

I shot some widefield on Tuesday night, and mine seemed to come very orange at 30secs ISO1600. Although i've not looked at them on the pc yet. Have a go at taking multiple shots and stacking, i took 10 of each with 4 darks to have a play around in deep sky stacker.

Annoying thing on my camera is i can't set it to do 10photographs one after another for example. I have to keep pressing the shutter, which believe me, gets annoying real quick lol.

Hello Chris,

I bought a 1100D a couple of weeks ago and have just made my first attempts at astrophotography. As I also live in Birmingham I was shocked as how orange my raw images were (I was shooting 30 seconds at ISO800), but I was very impressed at how easy it was to remove this using GIMP.

Have a look at my Flickr gallery (link in signature). Obviously these are beginners efforts, and remember these are just the good ones, but I am already encouraged by what appears to be possible.

Nice. Are those some Jovian moons I can see in the last one? Think it is ;)

You would be indeed correct there :grin: i was pleasantly surprised to see they had shown up!

You can buy a brand new Canon 1100D body only for under £250 (http://www.camerapri...100DBody&p=2180) and, if you are quick, Canon are doing an additional £30 cashback deal - until Jan 24th. (usual disclaimer). Prices have plummeted over the last couple of weeks!!

Thanks Roger, i had an idea that £250 would be the approximate price for the main body alone but im after a second hand one as i want the lens with it as i have two kids with lots of opportunity to snap some photo's :smiley:. Much appreciated for the heads up on a good deal though!

Chris

Hello Chris,

I bought a 1100D a couple of weeks ago and have just made my first attempts at astrophotography. As I also live in Birmingham I was shocked as how orange my raw images were (I was shooting 30 seconds at ISO800), but I was very impressed at how easy it was to remove this using GIMP.

Have a look at my Flickr gallery (link in signature). Obviously these are beginners efforts, and remember these are just the good ones, but I am already encouraged by what appears to be possible.

I checked out your Flickr gallery and you have some real great photo's! i hope to be able to create something like that at some point in the future! but it'll be a while before i get myself a suitable mount for the DSO AP. I'm suitably happy with experimenting with wide field for now though :laugh:

Thanks for sharing though as it gives me an idea of whats possible with this camera AND within Birmingham!

Chris

Some stunning pics in there that I would be over the moon with, well done!

Archived