SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion E/P

Hi There,

Have previously owned Baader Hyperion, they are an excellent ep. The celestron X-Cel have also a good reputation and can be found for a price similar to a used Hyperion.

The hyperion can be converted to a 2" ep by removing the field lens (the first part of the ep unscrews), This does change the focal length and its subsequent magnification.

Before you get further replies, it would be good to know what telescope and its focal length / apperture you are using and your intended targets!

Cheers

I have the 24, 17, 8 and 5mm versions of the Hyperion and have found them to be really good especially in telescopes of over f6 focal ratio but to be honest they're fine for me in my faster 'scopes too. The tuning rings really do work giving you plenty of flexibility in focal length from each EP but although removing the 1.25" unit does give a wider field of view, this is challenged somewhat!

Thats a great scope, so stick to the longer focal length ep's else you will be maxing out the magnification. Both the Hyperion and Celestron's are great, echo comments regarding the Hyperion zoom, just be careful as the fov changes as you zoom. You have a solid mount so you can push your scope which is a planet killer.

As you have a long focal length scope it is a bit more forgiving than a fast scope. Do try a wideish 30mm, you will get some decent dso views. I rarely used the finder on my 250mm sct, popped in 30mm 80 deg fov and used it as a big finder, but that still generated 83X.

There is a great guide to ep's by warthog on the forum. You can also have a bit of fun with focal lengths and views here ;-

http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm

http://www.telescope-simulator.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45

Enjoy

I own three Hyperions and also the Fine Tuning Rings which can change the focal length of the ep (except the 24mm which cannot for some reason). I find then excellent eyepieces and I love the 68 degree fov which is in tune with the human eye. The first time I used a Hyperion in my scope I was blown away with how good it was. I do like the fact that they are nice and chunky as well. They feel nice and solid. In my opinion they are brilliant.

However people who have the Hyperion zoom say it is a great eyepiece and had I not started to buy the fixed focal length ones beforehand, I may have gotten one of the zooms myself. However one thing to think about with regards to the Hyperion zoom is that you do not get the full 68 degree fov @ 24mm. It is only 50 degrees at 24mm.

i have the zoom and it is brilliant! saved me money and effort on changing Eps on the scope (not really an issue to change them).And 50 deg on 24mm is not really a big issue.you still get good views out of it.The thing I like most is that you can zoom in/out on the target you aquired and apart of stopping on full clicks (8-12-16-18-24) you can also stop half way.Never had any issues with image quality,also in a long shot this lens will work perfectly to determine on what mm you are on most often so if you are planning to get the highest quality Eps(tele vue for example) at some point this lens will show you exactly where you are.But all in all the zoom lens is great performer and definitely worth a buy if you are on a budget and you dont know what Eps to get.Barlow is small add on and again works perfectly fine.

Yes. Certainly cost wise the Hyperion zoom is a huge saving on having to buy individual eyepieces. And of course there is the factor of not having to faf around changing eyepieces over all the time.

Obviously I have read about the issues surrounding the reliability of the Hyperion zoom and the amount that have failed under normal use seems quite high. Don't know if Baader have sorted it out????

Hi I have a skywatcher 150 pro, mak and I love the planets with some dso,s as well. this is on a heq5 pro with synscan.

Hi Stickbow, if that is the longer f/6 version of the 150, the Baader will be a good ep in your scope, if the scope is faster then the Celestron X-Cel LX would be better.

I was going for a William EP but Lee at Greenwitch suggested the Hyperion and I'm glad he did. Sharp controlled image with good contrast acroos the FoV. Only initial problem was working out how to get the eye shield up!

Chris

I like the Hyperions in slower scopes but I'm not 100% convinced that they are worth nearly £100 apiece new when there are options like the BST Explorers or Celestron X-Cel LX's at notably lower prices with comparable performance.

I LOVE EM...

...can't get enough of em!

Seriously well made, feel quality, look quality (IMO)

Was like looking thro' a different scope

My other half wears glasses and finds these way easier to look thro' than my plossls (don't ask!)

Was out myself the other night @ minus2 and had nooooo problems with the zoom WHATSOEVER...

I'd recommend them

...M

I have four Hyperions and they work well in my 200P F6 Skyliner dob and my TAL100R F10 refractor. I like the 68 degree field of view and I also use the fine tuning rings a lot and like the extra flexibility they give me. 1x Hyperion + 14mm & 28mm fine tuning rings = 4x focal lengths :) No other eyepiece can give me those extra options (afaik), certainly neither the BSTs or X-Cel LX range.

The zoom's clearly popular, and whilst I understand the convenience factor, I've never had a problem with swapping eyepieces in the focuser. Then the 50 degree field of view at 24mm doesn't work for me either, it's just too narrow.

But that's just me....I like Hyperions :)

Hey Pollux,

Good call. you have the C9.25 as well. Sweet. Is your Hyperion the zoom or the fixed focal????? Everything you said I agree with 100%.

Hi Malc...

I have 'several' fixed lengths (24, 21, & 5, 3) and the zoom to make up the mid lengths.

Seriously, I find them excellent EPs - I know there's cheaper and there's 'better', but for me they're (in the words of Mary Poppins) "practically perfect"

??? i wish i did have the C9.25 :(((

...M

Oh Blimey.

Silly me. I miss read your signature. It is just the mount you have??? Doh. :grin:

Got the 17mm Hyperion for Christmas, but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. Won't be long though. I do have pretty much all bases covered now with my 3 Hyperions, the two fine tuning rings and also my Ultima 2x barlow. I suppose I could get an even more powerful Hyperion like a 5 or an 8, but with the ftr's on my 10mm, I am virtually there already and the 5. Well I would struggle at such high magnification most of the time as it would be mostly down to how good the seeing was at the time, so you have to weigh up the cost of the eyepiece over the amount of times you are going to be able to use it.

Archived