Telrad or red dot finder?

Hiya Lemming, most people seem to go for the Telrad. I have a red dot finder that I have no problems with what so ever. I was a bit tricky to set up and get it spot on,

If I was you i would save your cash.

Hope that helps.

I have both for my Mak but still tend to use mainly the Red Dot Finder that came with the scope. I find it very easy use, especially on brghter objects. Just look from a reasonable distance back from the finder, don't get right up close.

Lining up using a bright star is easy. Warning though - on the Skywatcher version it is too easy in the dark to turn an adjuster rather than the on-off/brightness switch. Some form of lock would be useful.

The Telrad comes into its own when hunting fainter objects when using a star chart as you can align the FoV with what you see on the chart. But I find it is most useful in the lesser light poluted skies.

David

As BargeGazer says the RDF is fine for pointing at things you can see with your naked eye.

The Telrad has a series of 3 circles of different diameter which together with charts help you move from a naked eye visible star as a starting point to a non naked eye visible object / DSO. The circles are dimmable but the less the light pollution the easier it is to use.

The Telrad is great once you are at a stage of trying to find such things and not being able to. Until then your RDF is fine.

Telrad all the way for me, I started with a RDF & found it just wasnt accurate enough and it was far too bright (you can reduce how bright the circles are in a Telrad) The Telrad has 3 concentric circles making it very easy to star hop from one object to the next, these downloadable (free) Telrad maps http://www.atmob.org/library/member/skymaps_jsmall.html are a godsend if you dont have goto, I've printed them off & laminated them for outdoor use. The other bonus I find is a Telrad is MUCH easier to look through, u can position it anywhere on the scope without needing to drill holes in your ota, making my life much easier.

Steve

BTW, I DONT work for Telrad :grin:

Once you have used a Telrad you will throw the Red Dot Finder in the bin, Star hopping is a breeze, finding DSO that have no nearby star to hop from and to is not a problem, used with the free to download Telrad Maps, run Stellarium with the Telrad Circles and your find any DSO in minutes (bit of practice will help) mine is still running on the batteries that went in it couple of years back.....

If your 'scope is quite small you may wish to look at the Rigel QuickFinder. Telrads are quite big but the QuickFinder has a much smaller footprint and does not get in the way.

I use one on my AstroMaster 130 and it's just dandy......... :grin: :grin: :grin:

, run Stellarium with the Telrad Circles and your find any DSO in minutes (bit of practice will help) mine is still running on the batteries that went in it couple of years back.....

may I ask how you turn on this feature?

I've pressed loads of buttons but must be doing something wrong.

Cheers

may I ask how you turn on this feature?

I've pressed loads of buttons but must be doing something wrong.

Cheers

Turning on the Telrad Circles is as follows, Put Stellarium in Windows Mode (Press F11) then press (Alt-o) select the Terad option, then F11 again, if you want the full screen or drag corners about in Windows Mode....

Thank you everybody for your replies.

To be honest I'm getting a little giddy with all the new toys available to me now that I have a telescope. And, if I am not too careful I will have an awful lot of kit with no idea and more importantly no money.

Thanks to the contributor that posted an image of a 130p with a Telrad on the back of it. What a monster of a piece of kit. It does look useful but it looks huge and at the moment I think I will focus, excuse the pun, on some eyepieces.

Cheers all.

To be honest I'm getting a little giddy with all the new toys available to me now that I have a telescope. And, if I am not too careful I will have an awful lot of kit with no idea and more importantly no money.

Welcome to life in astronomy ;)

Archived