NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suggestions for Eyepieces?

The Breed

Hi Everyone! I noticed from another post that a few of you have Skywatcher 200Ps and I recently bought an Explorer 200p EQ5 and just have the E/Ps that came with it, i.e. 25mm, 10mm and a 2x Barlow. Although I lack the ability right now, I'd like to spend time observing the planets and some DSO if the skies allow! Do you have any suggestions for reasonable E/Ps that I don't already have for my purposes? I'd like to get a Skywatcher 32mm Panaview at some point if it's worth but I'll take advice from you guys if you'd like to give it! Is it worth buying a higher mag E/P for the planets with our South Walian skies?

Thanks!

Hello Marc, welcome to the group !

Not sure what eyepieces to recommend as I'm not a Dob user, however I'm sure some of the members with Skywatchers will drop in shortly. You might also get a chance to try out some eyepieces by coming to an observing meet, to give you an idea of what to expect before you decide on making a purchase.

Edit: Every combination of equipment is different, so it's hard to decide without actually viewing for yourself.

welcome to the group marc

i would second mikes advice, try some of the ones you like, an eye peice may work for one person but not another, its quite a personal thing, we can give suggestions on different brands from budget all the way to the ones 10X more expensive than your whole set up

a few of my favs are the BSTs and the vixen NPLs both budget but slightly better than the standard ones but i like wideviews (hence my scope choices) the prinz is for white light solar, the megrez is my main scope and the coulter is currently a construction project:P but it will be a nice dob one day! :) so eye peice range iv got is 30mm, 25mm 10mm and the 6, but id like to reply my 25 and get a 14 too

iv got quite a small scope as my main, my megrez 72 (72mm) and iv only once with that scope gotten to 6mm an seen sharp, but i have seen with matthews 12" he was using a panaview and it was blow the mind away, best is to see what we use and try them out :)

The BST Exployer 8mm from skies the limit is a very nice planetary eyepiece for the money (47 quid). I think it was a group test winner in an astro mag. I've only recently bought mine but managed to find some gaps in the clouds the other day to look at Jupiter and it was very nice across the entire 60 degree FOV, and the eye relief was fantastic very comfortable.

Hi Marc - as Mike and Gaz suggest theres loads of us in the S Wales group with 200ps so if you could get to a meet in Blaenavon if we ever get some clear skies you'd be more than welcome to try a few before you buy although at under £50 the BSTs are an excellent choice for planetory I believe. I think the Explorer 200p has a different focal length to the Skyliner 200ps (Dobs) which most of us have though - not sure how much difference this would make- perhaps Gaz or Pat or one of the other more experienced guys in the group can help you out with this.

To be honest although I've pretty much covered the maginification range for the time being with various E/Ps and Barlows I more and more use the widefield low powered lens (the one I have is a Baader aspehric 31mm but the panaviews and others are also well recommended). I know when I first got my kit the spending was in higher magnification lens but if I had my time over with this scope again I'm not sure thats what I would have done from the outset.

Probably the best move is to come up and meet us if possible and try a few out but if you can't and have a specific E/P in mind please post on the forum either here or in the main forum theres bound to be loads of people with similar set ups all willing to help

good luck anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Also, thanks for the invite and offers to try some of your eyepieces. Only problem is that I'd feel like a complete donkey at your meets as I really don't know how to use my kit! Our bad weather hasn't helped my learning curve either! Hopefully we'll have some clear skies this week

Mate,when I went to my first meet,I set up the scope but had no idea how to align my scope. You get taken under a wing and you'll never look back.we were all in the same boat as you. That's the beauty of this group of people,we are all approachable with very different levels of experience. Come along and see for yourself

and we are all from very different ages i find the meets you learn more by talking than actual proper observing and usally look through most of the scopes on the carpark (my fav was matts old one hoping he brings the new one soon! *hint hint* :p )

and we all have various scope sizes each more suited to different tasks. an all approachable :) your more than happy to join us!

Hi there and welcome to the group

I've only just started myself but i can say from first hand nobody in the group will treat you as a newbee if you have a question they will help you with it

Come to a met you will enjoy it and come away happier

If you need help to find it just ask

When i had my scope i had the 2 EP but they are ok but am looking for something but does anyone have any hints as what to get please

When i had my scope i had the 2 EP but they are ok but am looking for something but does anyone have any hints as what to get please

Dean - if we ever get to Blaenavon again why don't you just try out everyones eye pieces in your scope before you spend your cash ther'll be a wide selection. As I've said before If I had my time again the first thing I would get is a good wide field e/p but it will mount up so if you can stop yourself spending for the time being wait until we meet up again.

If I get a chance before a meet and we get a decent evening I'll give you a pm and we can shoot up to Trecastle with a couple of the other guys for a few hours.

Hi deano69. Suggest that you get a Skywatcher 7 - 21mm zoom eyepiece. Quite cheap and quite good quality. Will give you 5 eyepieces for the price of one - 7, 9, 11, 15 and 21. Use that for a while and then decide which single ones you will most likely use and then get the best quality you can afford.

Archived