NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 51 min total exposure with un-modded dslr

StarRaver

Evening all, I finally managed to get out last night and get some more data for my shot i started a while ago but could not get enough data due to the cloud.

I have now ordered the Opticstar AR80S Guidescope and QHY5 cam as im going to need longer exposures for more fainter details ( its about time i started guiding )

anyways this has now got 51 minutes consisting of 51 lights 30 darks bias and flats and 60 lights at 10 seconds with matching calibration subs for the core.

Thank you for looking

Dale

post-21044-0-10776800-1357951820_thumb.j

Thank you both, I forgot to mention that this was shot at 1600iso and im well chuffed how the final picture has come out.

I also had a couple of hours on M81 & M82 the same night but I still need to process the final image, which I shall do when I get home from work later on tonight.

If anyone knows anyway to make this picture any better or anything I can do to improve this please let me know. I was also pleased with the core but maybe I could still do a bit more to get more detail in there as this is my first proper go at getting the core right in the final picture as my previous shot the core was totaly washed out.

Fingers crossed for some more clear skies tonight.

Thanks again

Dale

I think it's a lovely image, and you got good nebulosity all over while retaining the trapezium. I'd be really happy with this picture.

Just a question, how do you take flats?

The only think I can think of is that you have coma/eggy stars towards the edges, is there some kind of flattener for your ED80?

With the flats is use notepad full screen on the laptop, and with regards to the Flattener there is, but I don't own one yet as I still only have the basics at the moment.

I have just ordered the Opticstar AR80S Guidescope (http://www.opticstar...p?p=0_10_1_1_90 ) and QHY5 camera. ( which might just be on the weight limit with my Ed80 on the Heq5 pro ) The next thing on the list is a light pollution filter, else all im going to achive with guiding is more sky glow and light pollution in the subs. but I am strugging to see why the Skywatcher LP filter is around £30 and then others like the Astronomik CLS-CCD filter and The Hutech IDAS P2 LPS filter are around £100 - £150 is the skywatcher one no good ?

I am slowly building up my setup as they say good things come to those who wait :smiley: but I will be buying a Flattener, just got to work out which one first.

Archived