Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear Skies tonight!!

starryeyedkay

Well, I got out for a couple of hours and managed some imaging of Jupiter using my SPC900 camera and had first light with my new one which I've had for four weeks with no opportunity to test. The sky clarity wasn't bad, but insanely unsteady. If I'd not been desperate I may well not have bothered. I've posted the results here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/173503-jupiter-10th11th-jan-and-asi120mc-first-light/

James

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've come out well considering the conditions. Certainly better than I managed with my Dob.

Just out of interest James, what's the cool down time on the Mak? I'm looking at getting a smaller scope for home and can't decide between the Mak and a 4" refractor (Tal 100RS or similar).

Just out of interest James, what's the cool down time on the Mak?

To be honest I'm really not sure. If it looks like the night is going to be clear then I move the OTA outside under cover as soon as I have the opportunity and often it will sit there for three or four hours before I use it by which time it's going to be fine. I'd guess that it should be fine after 30 minutes to an hour depending on where it has been stored. Our central heating thermostat is set to 18C, so the temperature differential is nowhere near what it might be for some people.

James

Thanks James.

18C!!! Positively tropical. :grin: That's the same temp as ours. I'm toying with the idea of building a small secure shed out back to store the scopes in which should help with cool down times and free up some space inside the house. 30 mins or less for cooldown is what I'm aiming for.

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it could be clear tonight

That's what I thought too - but another night where unexpected cloud spoils the party. Only a thin cover and could see the brightest here but with poor conditions. Getting fed up of having my hopes raised just to be dashed!

Hope some other bits of the south west had it better.

Hello to the SW. = )

At last a clear sky last night to try out my new scope.

Regretfully a very bright full moon coupled with bad atmosphere made for a generally bad night of astronomy. However by about 6.00am Saturn was finally coming through respectfully and even Titan was quite visible, so I'm very pleased I stayed up for my first planet - lots more to come I hope.

Ian.

• 8 months later...

Archived