NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Tele Vue achromat lens!

Well, I for one think it's great news and very intriguing.

No one doubts the quality of every TV product, and also Skylight's workmanship, so the combination of a TV (designed, or manufactured?) lens in one of Richard Day's OTA's will likely get long focus fracheads drooling - me included! :grin:

Very much looking forward to the first review that get's published. It'll be particularly interesting if someone who already has the Carton lensed previous Skylight F15 could do a head to head??

Good luck to Richard and I admire his "coup" in securing lenses that can carry the TV name behind them.

Dave

.....I wonder if the association with the Nagler family will make these even more desirable over in the States?

Ant

I'm sure that's part of the plan Ant. The US is a much bigger market - Richard Day is a shrewd bloke :smiley:

I hope the price remains the same on both sides of the Atlantic though.

Are these lenses not the ones from the old Televue 101?

I understood these were slower front objectives which were then reduced by the rear elements in the Televue design.

Just wondering if these are lenses Televue already have or just something they know how to make well.

Just a thought

Cheers

Stuart

Are these lenses not the ones from the old Televue 101?...

I wondered the same.

If not the NP101, then perhaps these are stock lenses some other earlier telescope. It certainly seems unlikely that the numbers involved here could justify a new design and setting up production.

I have ordered one of these new scopes to use as a stage 2 modded solarscope :laugh: and also to use as a visual scope by having the shortened OTA threaded to reattach the offcut from the normal tube.

I know from other comments from other users that this F15 will perform excellently as a solarscope, both visually and photographically. I beta tested the Richards original 4" F15 a couple of years back and was very impressed with it's optics and the views it served up - especially the planets and double stars (the view of Alberio to date is still the best I have ever seen)

I was looking to order one of the original F15s from Richard a few months back not knowing he had stopped the run of them but he cryptically mentioned there was a new 4" project in the offing..... As soon as I saw the news that it was to be 4" Teleview objective at F15 I just leapt at the chance!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the prototype at this years Astrofest in three weeks and chatting to Richard more in depth. I've ordered mine with the Baader steeltrack focuser and Mk5 Skysurfer finder, all finished in black and brass :kiss:

Richard makes some beautifully engineered Telescopes both to look at and to use and I for one know that this new scope will be a hit amongst astronomers old and new and I can't wait to use mine!

Madjohn, you are a lucky man and I am not at all envious! :grin::evil:

How soon are you expecting delivery of this beauty (I sound like a midwife now!! :laugh: )

Bet you'll have some sleepless nights anticipating your happy event. Good luck to you sir!

regards

Dave

From the blurb on the Skylight website, "starting price point of circa £1350 GBP, with more details to be confirmed in the coming weeks."

I believe there was a choice of three "levels" mentioned, with the lowest prices for the barest tube assembly, sans finder etc, and other more equipped versions having the price rise accordingly. Overall, considering he build quality and design beauty, I'd say not too bad a price really, even if it is out of reach of quite a few people. You'd have to really want (and have space for) one to make the effort to purchase - a bit like owning a Ferrari I suppose...

Ant

While i would be the first to wish Richard all the very best with this excellent venture, i have found 4" f15`s are not for me, im fussy about how my scopes are mounted, and long refractors do take a bit of work to get them mounted right (and money)

Hi Dave, thanks for your kind comments!

I'm expecting the scope about early/mid April, Richard could do one earlier but I don't have the money as yet to get it any sooner!

I've been selling a lot of kit I no longer use or had to decide on which kit I needed the least (this was hardest!) and I've managed to pay the deposit but I'm about 400 quid adrift of the total at the moment.

The base model starts at £1350, the final cost of the scope to me will be about £1650 - this includes the Parralax CNC rings and for Richard making me a bespoke ERF lens cell holder at the front and incorporating into the build the facility to mount my Thousand Oaks glass solar filter too ( the advantages of having a hand built scope to your specs)

For a handbuilt scope with the Televue objective and Baader focuser I don't think £1650 is an excessive price.

I'm mounting it on my NEQ6 with the pillar extension so should be ok.

Nice one, Madjohn! I'm absolutely sure it'll be worth the effort to get such a fine scope - congratulations! We'll obviously expect regualr updates and the ritual fully detail unboxing report/first light reports at the appropriate times! The f13 I have from Skylight has a baader steeltrack and its really nice indeed!

For a handbuilt scope with the Televue objective and Baader focuser I don't think £1650 is an excessive price.

I'm mounting it on my NEQ6 with the pillar extension so should be ok.

No I think are right, hand made a bespoke, actually sounds quite good value when you look at it like that. I love my extension pier, one of the best pieces of astro kit I ever bought (One of the cheapest too)

• 6 months later...

Archived