New scope but dust....

Got some dust spots on the primary mirror as my brother just bought it. So the thing is how do I get them off without scratching/ruining the primary mirror?

I am thinking the hoover with that cleaning head with the bristles on but it might scratch the mirror so any help to get them off without doing that will be helpful.

Don't EVER put one of those attachments near the mirror, it will ruin it! My suggestion, at most would be to use a camera blower to CAREFULLY blow dust off the mirror (without touching it!). That said, if it's a Newtonian, those specs will have little if no detrimental effect on the telescopes performance.

I am thinking the hoover with that cleaning head with the bristles

Nooooooo! Don't! That will certainly do more damage than good.

I'd leave them, small dust spots really don't affect your seeing so best left well alone. If you really want to clean the mirrors there are a few decent tutorials available on You Tube etc but be careful!

Yeah a mirror has to be very dirty to impact performance to a measurable degree. Leave the spots until the mirror is well dusty and dirty in a few years and clean it properly using proper cleaning procedures then.

Put down that hoover and back away from the scope, don't risk damaging your mirror. As said above the dust will have no effect on your viewing. Obviously if the mirror is caked in dust and unusable steps can be taken, which I cant really advise on, but a hoover is not the way to go.

Archived