Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hello

mattft

Hi all,

I dusted my old Orion Europa off last night and decided to get back outside again. Been a long time and seems this new fangled internet thing is a good resource now. Question is, has the light pollution in London got so bad that I shouldn't bother?

Matt

You will be surprised what you can achieve from a central London location. I am a member of the Baker Street Irregular Astronomers and we meet each month in Regents Park. The light pollution is bad, but this has not stopped us from spotting a very long list of Messier objects (including diffuse nebula type) and other DSOs. Obviously some objects are less impacts by light pollution, such as open clusters, so some element of being selective helps. And there is no impact on planetary at all.

Welcome to SGL.

I imagine what you can see from London may well depend on the weather, too. If there's not too much moisture in the atmosphere you may find that scattering of light is nowhere near as bad as when there is.

James

Archived