NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

June to December 2012 , Whitelight Solar animation.

Steve Ward

Finally got round to animating all of my Solar photos from last year . . . . :p

Starting with June 29th when I embarked on the quest to catch him every day and finishing on December 20th.

I toyed with the idea of filling in the missing days with data from the brilliant NASA S.D.O. site , but decided against it in the end , any Thomas , Richard , or Harold can download their pics and string them together . . . it'd be cheating . . . :rolleyes:

I don't think 140 odd shots from a possible 180 or so is too shabby for a beginner . . . . :glasses9:

Best viewed in HD and Fullscreen ,

Here's to the next 360+ days ,

Thanks for watching ,

Steve.

thats excellent was just thinking that as the sun is 1 million miles across [roughly] then how long do the sunspots take to travel over the sun ? 5-8 days looking at your stop frames so between 5,000 and 8,000 miles an hour

thats excellent was just thinking that as the sun is 1 million miles across [roughly] then how long do the sunspots take to travel over the sun ? 5-8 days looking at your stop frames so between 5,000 and 8,000 miles an hour

Different parts of the Sun rotate at different speeds, averaging 30 days to complete a full rotation I believe. A quick check on Wikipedia suggests 25 to 35 days depending on latitude. it also gives the speed of rotation at the equator as 7000km/hr so your estimate is a little high, but not far out at all.

James

cheers james i was counting the frames as such if you look at say 0,36 to 0.45 you can follow spot across the equator of the sun looks about 8-9 days worth of travel [ about 8,00km/hr still pretty fast ]

Atrocious, isn't it? I've not seen the Sun at all, nor even clear shadows come to think of it, for several days. And there's no sign of a let-up until next week at the earliest. At least it isn't raining though, for the first time in about three weeks.

James

An absolutely stunning achievement!!! absolutely well done, you deserve a medal :)

If you are bored already, perhaps you could orientate all your images to north up, it would make the sequence 110% :) (hope you don't mind the comment) :)

Alexandra

Quite amaing that video, nice to see the sun spots move from one day to the next. Pity you didn't add the date, it would be nice to see if I managed to get any pics on a 'Good' day from your video.

Pity you didn't add the date, it would be nice to see if I managed to get any pics on a 'Good' day from your video.

Too lazy to add a caption to every frame on the full length one I'm afraid . . . :rolleyes:

If you want to browse them all at your leisure I've just finished bringing my Astrobin Gallery up to date . . . http://www.astrobin....rs/steveward53/

An absolutely stunning achievement!!! absolutely well done, you deserve a medal :)

If you are bored already, perhaps you could orientate all your images to north up, it would make the sequence 110% :) (hope you don't mind the comment) :)

Alexandra

Sorry . .

There's bored and there's really bored . . . . :p

Will try harder this year . . . . :wink2:

Steve.

Archived