Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon EOS 550D vs 1100D

Fordos Moon

Scope chosen ED80. Mount too HEQ5. The 550D is £500 on Amazon, the 1100D is £290, significantly cheaper. Would I be losing out going for the latter to capture images of DSOs?

Unfortunately the big boy Atiks and the like are a step too far at this stage if my interest.

I found the 550d to be poor noise control I have changed to a 450d and what a difference it is I suspect the 1100d is good at controling the noise too. Some one told me the bigger the mp the more photons needed to saturate the chip. I would go with the 1100d for AP

I have a unmodded 1100d, as do many others, and it is superb. Gina on this forum has about four I think!

Edit: unmodded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have four that work - 3 modded and cooled and in use though I'm redoing the cooling on one of them. The fourth is in reserve and currently being used for normal photography. I did some research before I bought a DSLR for AP and the 1100D came out best overall.

Thanks Gina that's good to know. Is there somewhere I can read up on what us involved with modding the camera? (Curiosity)

http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod450d1.html

It is not something to undertake lightly. From all accounts it is straightforward enough but one slip or error and you have written off the camera.

There are small outfits that make a living from modding these cameras for us AP enthusiasts. Or alternatively you can look on ABS and wait for one to come up ready modded. That's what I did.

Interestingly I sent an email to Centralds about acquiring one of their cooled cameras, here is the reply from Yun..

Hello Guy,

Recently we found the canon 1100D's sensors are not uniform quality and the quality range is too wide.

Some have very low noise but some have so high noise. And we are to discontinue the CDS-1100D model.

But if you send a user supplied 600D or 60D we'll modify it cooled DSLR. Of course it'll be shipped you as "return sending after repair" and I guess that you will receive it without any tax burden.

Best regards,

Yun Lee

heres the link stick with it as its slow to load: http://www.centralds.net/cam/

Scope chosen ED80. Mount too HEQ5. The 550D is £500 on Amazon, the 1100D is £290, significantly cheaper. Would I be losing out going for the latter to capture images of DSOs?

Unfortunately the big boy Atiks and the like are a step too far at this stage if my interest.

If you don't mind buying a grey import keep checking here for price movements, you can get hold of a 550D for £390 incl delivery, VAT and duty paid and a local warranty service in UK which replaces the official canon UK warranty.

http://www.photino.c...anonEOS550DBody

Actually just realised the 550D with EF-S 18-55IS lens is only £380 and a 600D body is only £350 check out the central panel under

More Canon Digital SLRs

great choice and will last you for years... ED80 is hard to beat!

Archived