NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My new years eve plan (and Happy new year).

ubertank

So 2012 has been the start of my new hobby. I have had a 200p since late November and have massively enjoyed astronomy since actively partaking in it.

Tomorrow night we are actually forecast clear skies here in the Midlands. I have three daughters, two of which are under 2 and an 8 eight year old. My 8 year old was able to quickly glimpse the moon a few days ago in a gap in the clouds lasting about 10-15 seconds and was suitably impressed and disappointed she was unable to see more.

So, my plan for tomorrow night is to be out in the garden with the scope, looking up at clear skies and showing my eldest daughter the moon, Jupiter and some other sites on the first clear sky we'll have had together with the scope.

I'm not one for new year celebrations typically, but what a cool way to see in the new year.

I hope you all have a fantastic evening, whatever you're up to and an equally fantastic new year in 2013 filled with clear skies.

Sounds like a great idea to spend the evening getting your daughter into this great hobby, I hope you both have an enjoyable evening and all the best for 2013.

As for myself if the clouds keep away I will be out with my scope taking in the last view of the year and looking forward to a better new year.

That's my plan too - I can't bear the fuss around New Year, so being out in the quiet with the stars sounds like a perfect way to spend the evening.

+1, I might be an humbug g** but sooner this festive season is out of the way and we are back to normal the better. I'd love nothing more than to be out at midnight with my scope and gear and away from that Old Lang Syne claptrap. I'll pop in and kiss my wife at the midnight hour then back out.

One thing.... the weather may stop this plan!!!!!

Steve

Oh, by the way, Happy New Year

I don't mean to rain on your parade (no pun intended) but people do seem to have the terrible habit of setting off fireworks on the evening of the 31st December to celebrate the coming of the New Year - a real pain if you are observing or worse still trying to image.

I do hope you do not encounter any problems and wish you all the best for your evening and the coming year.

I have been on holiday since the 19th Dec and have not had the opportunity to get out due to - you guessed it - rain or cloud :sad:

Ian

Archived