Solid tube 300p on OO uk Dob mount

I spoke to John at OO uk yeaterday. I told him I am considering getting a 300P - DS OTA and if it was possible to mount it on one of their Dob bases. He said I would need to get the 350 mm base and , if I sent him the diameter of the OTA , he would custom make the tube rings for a perfect fit for an extra £50 or so. This stands the base in at approx £600 plus the OTA at another £600 . So for £1200 I end up with a 12" dob with a very manageable base. But this puts me into 14" territory but with a base I have to dismantle to get in and out of the house and an OTA that , by all accounts , is not manageable for one person. Just trying to make the limited time I have to get outside as easy as possible.

Tell me what would you choose if you were to buy ?

I'd stick at 12" as I have to get my scope in and out of the house to observe too. I had a Meade Lightbridge 12" and that was just about manageable.

Those OO bases are good but very expensive to buy new :shocked:

I'd certainly like a larger aperture scope but I know from experience that something that is too clumbersome to move around just won't get used as much as it deserves in my current circumstances.

I don't think I could bring myself to pay £600 for a dob base, even an Orion Optics one. I paid £350 for the whole scope with the Meade Lightbridge !.

I don't think I could bring myself to pay £600 for a dob base, even an Orion Optics one. I paid £350 for the whole scope with the Meade Lightbridge !.

Same as that, I have to carry my 10 info OO tube and rocker box down the stairs from a back bedroom as it is. I paid 350 quid second hand for my tube with up-graded optics and OO rocker box. £600 for a dob base is way over what I would be prepared to pay.

The OOUK dob bases are undoubtedly very good, but perhaps only worth purchasing if bought as a package to include the OTA such as VX, or when they come up second hand, again usually sold with the ota. The other alternative would be to take your time and build a one using good quality exterior ply, the information on this forum for tackling this by several members is phenomenal.

Archived