Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reprocess of M42

Gina

Can't get any new data so here is a reprocess of my last M42. This needs some very short subs to deal with the core. This is 240s lights at ISO 1600 with cooled 1100D.

post-13131-0-67230600-1356193039_thumb.p

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gina -

Looks very nice - is the core overexposed in the original lights, or is that from processing?

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you :) The overexposed core is in the original lights.

I have some 10s lights at ISO 800 and ISO 400 which I've succeeded in stacking and now have a core image with the trapezium stars visible (just) but I'm having a problem in PhotoShop (CS5) trying to get an image into a mask. I'm using the method described here :- http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/LAYMASK.HTM I get a copy of the long exposure image as described but having selected the mask box I find I cannot Paste - the Paste menu item is greyed out :( Step 6.

Hi Gina -

You can, but not the way you might think. First of all, the image to be used as the mask must be grayscale, so go to Image->Mode->Grayscale to convert it. Then select all and copy it to the clipboard.

Switch to the destination image (the one to use this as a mask). Create the layer mask on whichever layer you need, then click on the mask icon in the layers palette to select it. Go to the Channels palette and the layer mask channel will be selected, but not 'viewable' (the eye icon next to it is turned off). Click on this icon to turn it on, then paste the grayscale image from earlier and Bob's your uncle.

Hope that works, look forward to seeing the result.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Gina -

You can, but not the way you might think. First of all, the image to be used as the mask must be grayscale, so go to Image->Mode->Grayscale to convert it. Then select all and copy it to the clipboard.

Switch to the destination image (the one to use this as a mask). Create the layer mask on whichever layer you need, then click on the mask icon in the layers palette to select it. Go to the Channels palette and the layer mask channel will be selected, but not 'viewable' (the eye icon next to it is turned off). Click on this icon to turn it on, then paste the grayscale image from earlier and Bob's your uncle.

Hope that works, look forward to seeing the result.

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you Peter :) I thought it must be something simple I was doing wrong :D I'll try that.

Lovely image Gina. I'm hoping you can get the core images to mask. Can't wait to see how it helps lift the image. Can I ask, in the top picture, what is the near spherical line on the left near the running man?

Lovely image Gina. I'm hoping you can get the core images to mask. Can't wait to see how it helps lift the image. Can I ask, in the top picture, what is the near spherical line on the left near the running man?

yes, I was wondering that too. cracking image by the way. feeling very envious

Scott

Thank you :) I think the curved thing is a reflection of a bright star in the optics somewhere but I don't really know - I've never had it before or since.

Happy Christmas

Gina have you tried Pixinsight? You could use the HDRW filter, stretch and Local histogram equalization tool that would "fix" the core.

No I haven't tried PI as yet.

Happy Christmas

You're welcome, hope it works for you! Let me know if not.

Cheers,

Peter

Still not working Peter :( I did exactly as you said and got the channels view in the layer with the mask, turned the "eye" on and got a pink matrix on screen. Then chose Edit > Paste but instead of it pasting into the mask it made a new layer with it in. Everythinkg looked right until I tried pasting. I'm baffled :(

Archived