SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kielder Star Party- report

beamish

Okay returned from Kielder Star Party, arrived on weds afternoon,having put up the tent and decanted all the gubbings and kit and got the BBQ going, we then settled down to what looked like a beautiful clear night. As the sun slowly descended there was a hint of mist as the temperature noticeably dropped. As eyes became accustomed to the onset of darkness Kielder revealed it's potential- a dark sky the likes of which I have never seen, the Milky Way a bright ribbon across the peppered sky. Hopes ran high but low-lying mist could now be seen to be encroaching the site, the horizons began to disappear.

I popped back into the tent to get something- came back out -it was all GONE ! Inspite of optimistic weather predictions, I'm afraid the banks of low cloud rarely cleared. The site certainly filled up as the week went on, by Friday finding a firm dry pitch was impossible, overnight rain saw to that.

In the pitch next to us Psychobabbler and Dogfish (with lots of beer) and nice looking kit! I managed to find Daz down on the other field but I guess he was still asleep on sat. morning when I popped round.( he'd decided to stay awake for Friday night in the hope of a clearing).

Please don't get the wrong idea-my mate and I had a superb camping break, loads of wine ,beer and a bottle of cracking scotch, DVD's and exploring the area during the day. Lack of clear nights didn't hurt too much- so I'd like to say a huge thank you to those responsible for organising the camp, especially Richard, Dave and MoonPlodger (Kev) for their warm welcome and friendly camp !! And to those of you who were there- Allar Ackbar ??

Karlo :D:lol:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but I'd definitely go again- IT'S SERIOUSLY dark there, that much did come across. I had a great time ! As did the local Sunderland AS boys on Friday night by the sounds of it ! It slowly started to resemble Glastonbury in parts, but wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Karlo

Hi Karlo

Good to meet you and your pal. You didn't really miss anything on the Saturday night either. Rained all evening but there were reports of clear patches at about 4am, when I was sleeping the sleep of the seriously drunken. Woke to beautiful sunshine today and managed to look at the sun through a couple of scopes, but that was it. Still planning to go back in March despite the carp weather, as it is a gorgeous spot.

See you there if not before.

Martin

Nice to meet you and your mate Karlo. Good report, I couldn't have put it better myself, good beer, good food, good company and a well organised very friendly event - I can't wait for Kielder in the spring :lol: :sunny:

Good to meet you too David, see you again soon no doubt - hope you get a better nights sleep tonight :D

Good to see you again Martin, you'll have to let us know if you get away this week sometime. You've obviously been bitten by the camping bug, I can picture you now on some bleak hillside in the middle of Scotland.

I'll post some pics in the next day or two when I've recovered and unpacked etc.

Cheers,

Ian

[removed word]!!

Didn't realise there were more SGL'ers on the leccy end!!

Karlo's report just about sums it up really. You know its somewhere special when the milky way shines through the cloud!! :shock:

Thanks to the boys from RAS for making me and Whiplash feel welcome, and good to see everyone having a great time despite the weather!!

Lasers at 50 paces!!!

:D

Just managing to stay awake long enough to say that like everyone else, despite the complete lack of clear skies, I had a t'riffic weekend. Nice to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones. Shame I didn't get to meet some more but there's always next time. As Daz said, the Milky Way visible through CLOUD is a good sign of a special place and it makes Kelling look like a Tesco's car park*. Also the site is set in a gorgeous forest with Kielder Water nearby. Beautiful place and fingers crossed I'll be able to get there again and again, and again...

Tony..

*Clearly, Kelling isn't a Tescos Car Park but Kielder is dark as a dark thing from darksville :D.

Just to add, for those who missed out on Sunday Night :D up until 03:00am before the mist rolled in and made everything dripping wet, the views were stunning. I have taken some pics, will post more when played. Just 2 for those who missed out. One straight up at the zenith overhead and one 30sec still from the camera laying on my eyepiece case.

1789_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

1790_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Didn't chance staying the Sunday then I take it Daz ? Guess how I feel, there since the Weds !! :D:lol: Those pictures are good but IMHO still don't do justice to how dark the sky can get and it really does then become a case of " My God , It's full of stars !" I know my mate Bruce enjoyed the stay, he was quite taken aback by the views and how much expensive kit was brought along( he's a pro camera-man and exceptional photographer) and he's now talking about getting a scope for when he goes to visit family in Norfolk. We'd both likely as not return to Kielder for another go ! Sorry I didn't get to meet some SGL'ers and didn't really get a chance to spend abit more time with you Daz. The offer of a view thru the Cape still stands !

Karlo

Hi Daz

Twas indeed myself and dogfish you met all too briefly on way to Karlo's tent - hope to get better acquainted in the Spring when we return to Kielder, with Dogfish in the tent and me in the car, a la saturday night when i could take no more of the midnight snoring chorus....

PB

:D

Need to get the dates sorted ASAP - I hear rumours that Spring clashes with Kelling - which I am already booked in for! Just hope the Autumn one is pushed back a bit!!

There was a fair chorus down our end as well - not from me I might add (although if Whiplash posts any untruths about that, please be good enough to ignore them :lol: )

I hate to say it but it's all down to foresight - camping ,blokes, beer and curries et al SOooo as well as the radiator 4x packs of travel earplugs(Squishy foam ones), thought I was DEAD didn't hear a thing whilst they were in !! Great !!! Sleeping in the car David ? Geeze, Martin MUST have been bad ! :D:lol:

Karlo

Archived