Early morning globulars.

cotterless45

Quite poor seeing conditions, compounded by my cup of tea getting frozen over.....bbbbbrrrrr!

M53 is beside the base star of Coma Bernices to the rear of Leo. It's compact with a very close companion NGC5053 cluster which I couldn't find.

M3 is similarly compact and midway between Cor Corioli and Arcturus. These will take x100 to give a bright core and explosion of outer stars .

Rising in the northeast was Hercules and M13. It was good to see this and the Corona between Arcturus and Vega.

I tried for the Virgo,Leo and Coma galaxies, but it wasn't that good in the Dob.

The open cluster M67 sparked in Cancer and this and the Beehive could be seen by eye,reached for my half cup of tea ,but it had frozen,neat,

Nick.

It got to -6 here last night but I drank my tea long before it could freeze :) As I was packing up last night I spotted Arcturus had risen so my last object of the night was M3. I never tire of looking at globulars. I have seen NGC5053 but it's not easy from where I am and I've only seen it from a darkish site. That's got to be one of the earlier sightings of M13!!

James

Quite poor seeing conditions, compounded by my cup of tea getting frozen over.....bbbbbrrrrr!

Crikey, that's some dedication! :shocked:

Still, 2 good nights amidst the rubbish lately so perhaps best to get full use of them. Good going Nick.

The globs Nick mentioned are my favorites in the summer skies when my skies are still dark, unlike those of the U.K., in the summer. I feel for you guys not having dark skies during the summer, when lots of DSOs are visible, especially in Saggitarius, Scorpio and on up along the Milky Way. But as Nick did, you got to do what you have to in order to see these objects when your sky is dark - frozen tea or not :grin:

Archived