NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1 - Crab Nebula - Bi-colour - First light

Gina

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Crab Gina, what scope/lens combo was used for this?

Thank you :) Scope was Evostar 80 ED DS Pro, Atik EFW2 filter wheel containing Astrodon 5nm Ha and 3nm OIII filters and Atik 314L+ mono astro CCD camera.

A redo of post processing taking the stacked Ha and OIII. This time I made a synthetic green out of the Ha and OIII. Ha was mapped to red and OIII to blue. Then I adjusted levels and curves for the three colours and applied some Unsharp Mask. This is cropped from the original image but not resized so it's pixel for pixel.

post-13131-0-21188100-1355950648_thumb.p

Very nice Gina, is the 314L+ a recent addition? The narrowband really proving its mettle bringing out the detail.

Thank you :) Yes, I've had the 314L+ just over a fortnight. Very few clear nights in that time unfortunately :( And lots of wetweather in the forecast too!

Nice Gina,

How are you finding the transition from your cooled DSLR's to the 314L+ ?

Thank you :) No problem really - the Artemis Capture software is excellent and having a remote controlled filter wheel run from the software is sheer luxury :)

Thank you :) Yes, I've had the 314L+ just over a fortnight. Very few clear nights in that time unfortunately :( And lots of wetweather in the forecast too!

Ooh very nice, I presume you are using the reducer/flattener as the field seems very crisp. If so does this yield ~ 1.146° x 0.932° FOV which is what I calculate but could be way out! And so would put anything the Lagoon sized or larger too big for the chip? So my question is if I am right and this is the case will we be seeing some mosaics from you n the near future? I ask mostly because, having looked at the possibility of doing this with Makarians chain and having seen the way in which you document your astronomical experiences I'm sure I would be interested in your approach.

Ofc if I got the maths wrong then im jibberjabbering about nonsense lol!

Ooh very nice, I presume you are using the reducer/flattener as the field seems very crisp. If so does this yield ~ 1.146° x 0.932° FOV which is what I calculate but could be way out! And so would put anything the Lagoon sized or larger too big for the chip? So my question is if I am right and this is the case will we be seeing some mosaics from you n the near future? I ask mostly because, having looked at the possibility of doing this with Makarians chain and having seen the way in which you document your astronomical experiences I'm sure I would be interested in your approach.

Ofc if I got the maths wrong then im jibberjabbering about nonsense lol!

Yes, the Lagoon and similar sized nebulae are too big for the 314L+ so I have the choice of mosaics and greater detail but more time or using a telephoto lens instead of my ED80 scope. I'm currently looking into mounting the 314L+ with lens.

Archived