NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

m31

Morning SGL,

last night I was luckily enough to capture M31 just after sunset, I managed to capture 48 minutes worth of data before the clouds decided to bring an end to my imaging session. ( still patiently waiting for a full clear night ) :sad:

With this shot i decided to up the iso to 1600, as i was having a little trouble with tracking, and with the clouds slowly rolling in I didnt really want to waste what little time i had trying to sort it out.

This shot comprises of 48 lights at 1600iso, for 60secs, 25 darks, 25 bias, and 25 flats ( yep finaly decided it was time to start using them ) :smiley:

stacked in dss and a very quick attempt at processing,

Hopefully when I get anouther clear night I can get some more data to try sort out the SNR, and will I will try to get some shorter exposures for the core detail.

Thank you for looking

Dale

post-21044-0-58882500-1355050364_thumb.j

yes here is the png version at 43.5mb,

I might have another go at re processing ( not my strong point ) when I get a bit more time as I only had a quick go at it this morning and still learning the basics, The core isnt as good as it can be with what data i have,

the next clear night I will do some shorter exposures to capture the core detail and add to the data i have at the moment,

post-21044-0-52887300-1355077076_thumb.p

Thank you Jim I was very pleased with it as it is only my 3rd attempt at m31 as I have only just got in to this hobby about 2 months ago, and only had my mount and scope for a month.

Just trying to get my head around the processing side of it at the moment.

Things are looking good for getting the core data tonight unless the British weather has other plans, fingers crossed lol

I doubt that you need short exposures for the core. I bet the data is in there. What does the core look like in the linear (unstretched) image? If it's a brightish dot in the middle then you already have the data and you could do a core control curve or two like this...

CORE%20CONTROL%20CURVE-L.jpg

...to make a version in which the core looks right but the rest of the image doesn't. Then you layer them together in using Ps. The simple way is to put the core only version underneath and use a well feathered partial erasor to take of the burned out top layer where you want to. DO a bit at a time and make the eraser brush smaller as you take more off near the very core. Or there's the fancy way; http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/LAYMASK.HTM

Note that the curve in the screen grab is supposed to end in a straight line but it seems to be drooping a bit. Ooops!

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2251020561&k=DtkhGGw

Yes I have had a look at the eos clip filters, and pondering about getting one. But they aint cheap.

Plus I dont know which one to get, they have a cls filter and a ccd-cls filter, whats the difference between the two, and how much better are they than the SW lp filter and all the other cheaper ones ?

See I will be up grading to a ccd camera in the near future as i dont want to mod my canon, and if i bought a clip in filter once i up grade it would just be sat there not being used. so have also been looking at the 2 inch filters as they can be used for both cameras but again still dont know what one lol.

Sorry about the multiple questions lol :smiley:

Archived