Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 5th Dec 2012

StuW

I can't seem to get the sharpness that others are getting with similar equipment.

200p on HEQ5

2.5x Revelation Barlow and Barlow stacked.

ZWOptical ASI120MC

2min capture 50% best frames stacked in AS2, Wavelets in RS2, saturation boost and slight unsharp mask in PS CS6

18db221f-f9d8-4f61-a0f9-16d4071550d7_thumb.png

Still a very credible image Stu.....focusing becomes an obsessive necessity, and collimation is the other variable that can cause images to be a bit obscure re detail - but really, if you are confident about those then it's that old saying about seeing - it makes or breaks us all and it isn't something that is there too flamin' often imho..! :Envy::embarrassed::smiley:

Stu - how many frames are you getting in a 2min avi?

I capture 3 min avis to get 10000 frames and following kokatha mans registax tutorial I only stack the best 1000 as he reckons that is a good number. I apply this rule in AS!2 as well. Maybe if you are stacking 50% of the frames it is stacking frames which may not be the best quality so not adding to the quality of the image. Also why not capture 3 min avi's that way you would have more frames to play with. Just some thoughts. I'm no expert and am learning too... so someone is likely to be able to offer better suggestions or contradict me entirely.

Sam

I was under the impression that at this magnification anything over 2 mins would incur rotation artifacts so I keep to 2 mins. I'll try stacking less frames and see what I get. I average about 46fps at 640x480

OK I didn't know that - I would have thought you could stretch to 3 mins with that set up but don't take my word for it.

I agree with the other comments that its a good capture.

I captured a load of avi's last night that I have yet to process. I use a 200P also so it would be good to compare. I'm only over the Peninnes from you so conditions may have been similar.

I'm told if you hammer copper nails into them it works wonders. Or drill a hole deep into the tree and fill it with creosote....

Strange... for some reason I thought you said that your yard was surrounded by trees!

I have general West Yorkshire light pollution to contend with.

I'll post an image from last night in this imaging forum in a moment

you can easily shoot for 3 mins i would say. some would suggest even more. If you get good captures its not always a rule of thought that says stack the best 1000. under good seeing you may well get more useable frames than that, its not the amount that is the guide its the quality. so if the quality of the avi is say twice as good. you may get awaywith 2000 frames if you get my point. I would suggest try 3 and 4 min captures. Then use your eyes to determine the amount of frames to keep or throw away. you may well get a lot more doing it this way. Where did you get the camera BTW and how much did it cost you

Thanks for the advice Neil. I got the camera from ALI Express for about £180, but the $/£ exchange rate means it can vary. I know Sam is looking for a UK distributor so you may see them on one of the main sites in the future.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

That's looking pretty good to me Stu. I too am surrounded by houses which is a pain. But I usually go for 4 mins by default and it doesn't seem to give me any issues. Mind you I am usually pretty ruthless on the quality setting and only keeping the best 6-8% and end up stacking between 150-200 frames. Maybe I should give it a go dropping the quality cut off point and seeing if I can bring out more detail.

Archived