Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good place to put images?

Slightly unusual question, but I'm now amassing a fair number of images and I was wondering where the best place would be to store/display them. Being relatively computer illiterate, I've so far resorting to dumping them all in a folder but putting the 'keepers' on a rough and ready Powerpoint deck.

However, it looks like the popular choice is to set up a web site? Has anyone any tips on how to do this - are there any guides, templates or the like, maybe some ready made backgrounds and font selections? I noticed a member who replied to an earlier post used an SGL 'image album' - any ideas on how this works?

Cheers

If you want to maintain a copy of everything yourself then get a few USB sticks, 32Gb are around £10-12, 64Gb I see at £20.

Digital media is not very permanent and I suspect that placed on the net it will eventually get lost or something.

I use Dropbox, they operate a Free account, I pay for mine due to storage levels required. With Dropbox I retain all copyright to my material and I can choose to share or not by setting permissions and giving people links. If I want to publish images to a web I can via a simple link...but I retain copyright.

Hosting sites such as flickr, photobucket etc take the copyright of your images because they do not charge and this may be an issue because their staff have full access to your images and legally can do what the hell they feel like with them. I know in practice they do not, but these services need to start turning a profit and with the copyright to millions of images, who knows what they may do in the longer term.

If you're not very technical then I'd agree with the above recommendations, particularly flickr and/or astrobin. Personally I keep my images on my own website because I don't trust anyone to look after my data as well as I would, but I'm a systems admin to start with and that kind of paranoia is part of the job spec. :)

If you're fairly relaxed about what happens to your images, upload it to one of the sites above and have an easy life. If it's important to you, by all means do the same, but keep your own copies on CD or DVD or multiple PCs.

James

Hosting sites such as flickr, photobucket etc take the copyright of your images because they do not charge and this may be an issue because their staff have full access to your images and legally can do what the hell they feel like with them

i own the rights to all my images on flickr it clearly states this on my pictures

Hosting sites such as flickr, photobucket etc take the copyright of your images because they do not charge and this may be an issue because their staff have full access to your images and legally can do what the hell they feel like with them. I know in practice they do not, but these services need to start turning a profit and with the copyright to millions of images, who knows what they may do in the longer term.

You cannot just "take" the copyright for someone's work from them. Last time I was involved in this sort of thing (fairly recently, regarding who owned the rights to some software that I and another developer had written) I was given the impression that there had to be a legally binding contract to transfer the rights and that to form a contract there needs to be an exchange of "benefits" in both directions. That is, you can't just get someone to sign away their rights to their work. You have to give them something in return. Now that something may be the benefit of hosting services, but I don't see anything imposing that kind of deal in fllckr's terms and conditions.

What Flickr/Yahoo do require to the best of my knowledge is that when you upload files you give them the rights to distribute them freely as required to provide the service you're using. So, for example, if you upload a photo you give them the rights to distribute it to anyone who meets the criteria you've set for being allowed to see the image. That's a totally different kettle of fish and without that they could probably not allow anyone else to see your images legally.

James

Flickr's compression is catastrophic if you are serious about your work. Astrobin looks good. I use SmugMug which isn't free but is easy to orgainise. For ethical reasons (really just because I want to respect the forum rules here and eleswhere) I don't post my images on my business website.

Olly

It seems that Photobucket has been relaunched and they have changed their afore mentioned Copyright status.

Sadly, we are not in a position to grant you permission to use a photo or video you found Photobucket for any outside purpose, commercial or otherwise.

Photobucket is a UGC (user generated content) site. Our registered members are responsible for the content they upload, not Photobucket. Members who post images represent that they own the images they post. Users grant Photobucket a limited license to display the content at Photobucket.com, but retain the copyrights in the files they upload. Photobucket is not in a position to grant a license to use any of the works that appear on the site. That right remains with the copyright holder.

To recap, Photobucket does not own the copyrights to any files that appear on the site. Though we have certain licensed rights, we cannot grant a sublicense or give you permission to use an image.

Also, we can't put you in touch with the owner of a file. Our users expect a certain level of privacy, and there is nothing in our terms of use authorizing us to distrubute contact information to other users.

With that statement clearly for all to find on their new website I would concur with the comments above about the use of Photobucket, however flickr, despite numerous searches, seems to hind all comment about Copyright ownership.

Archived