Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st Saturn! 02/12/2012

Special K

Comes a time in the 'career' of an amateur astronomer when we first get a glimpse of the ringed planet and it was my turn this weekend! I couldn't wait for Spring to see Saturn and set the alarm dead early to cool the scope and get in an early viewing. There's something remarkable to realize you are looking at the real thing, that you not looking at a photo and have the means to discover these wonders as if they have never been seen before. I got that personal victory feeling when first seeing Saturn, and making out those rings as plain as day. It isn't huge in my scope but I cooled it enough to provide a clear image. It's very bright! There was lots of atmosphere at that angle at 06:45 which was apparent when I looked at Venus out of focus and saw a ton of shimmer. The view of Saturn finished out a good few days planetary viewing while we had the good weather. Jupiter has been grabbing most the headlines and the shadow transits have been excellent of late. Saturn just put the cherry on top!

Congratz on seeing Saturn, really is the golden jewel of out solar system. I am a big fan of Jupiter and the dynamic nature of its surface...but it is no Saturn.

On a similar note, I have been seeing it for the past several mornings as well, it and Mercury are right outside my window above the sea when I wake up. Unfortunately, I have not been as dedicated as you and have not yet setup my scope in the morning, one of these days though ....one of these days...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations! she is something else isn't she? Just beautiful. Even though the image is tiny and almost colourless, your first scope view of her is so much more 'real' and emotional than all the media/hubble images available. I never tire of looking at Saturn.

I got my first ever sight of Jupiter in my scope this year and although it was an impressive sight, it didn't give me the 'wow' factor like Saturn did and still does.

So lucky u are... Where I live, I can never point my scope to Saturn as east is on the other side of the flat and so I can only wish I would be able to see it one day... I have never seen it in real life so still waiting for it to be visible from the sites I usually go to with my scope at reasonable times.. :(

Saturn will be in opposition April 28th 2013, expect some useful viewing around this time,

Nick.

Looking forward to it! We will be just coming off the prime position we have for Jupiter and Saturn can take his place. I see in 2020 (yes yes a long way off!) that the two planets will be closely in view but I think they are going to low on the horizon. Mars will join them around March which would be really cool to see.

Nice one SK.

Despite many subsequent views in bigger scopes, I can still remember my first time - short focal length 80mm scope - tiny and was not actually looking for it - just stumbled across it. What a sight it was - definitely one of those moments that make all the cold nights worth while.

Archived