Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 127 Synscan problem

Last night whilst using my Skymax 127 Synscan, I was having trouble completing the 2-star alignment.

I aligned the first star no problem, but when I selected the second star to align (Polaris, Capella or Aldebaran, it didn't matter which one) the scope slewed upwards and point towards the zenith.

This was only my second time using the scope. The first time I used battery power and everything worked fine. Last night I was using electric through an extension lead. Thinking this was the problem, I reverted back to using batteries, and the 2-star alignment went perfectly. Then, after about 45 minutes viewing, I attempted to move the scope the short distance from Jupiter to the Pleiades, and again it slewed right up and looked like it was going to keep going beyond the zenith to point in the oposite direction to where the Pleiades are. I stopped the scope at the zenith, and tried to move it using the direction arrows, but it wouldn't do anything.

Does this sound like a problem with my power supply, or does it sound like something more serious ?

Thanks

Kev

The pin on the power connector is sometimes a bit iffy on the mount...

45 minutes on batteries in the freezing weather we're having could be the cause.

Only my thoughts... Someone else will have other ideas I'm sure

Can you tell us what power supply you are using? I agree that the pin can be problematic. 45 minutes on batteries sounds pretty good!

Thanks for the replies.

The power supply is a Universal AC/DC Mains Adaptor set to positive tip. You can change the voltage from 3v up to 12v.

I initially had it set to 12v but when I plugged it in and selected the power display on the handset, it was fluctuating between 15.7v and 16.3v.

As I thought the Synscan should operate on 12v, I selected 9v on the adaptor, and this then shown as between 11.8v and 12.5v on the handset display. This is the setting I used the other night when I was having difficulties, and it only occurred to me the following day that I should have tried changing the adaptor to 12v.

Do you think this could have been causing the problems ?

Cheers.

Kev

Thanks for the replies.

The power supply is a Universal AC/DC Mains Adaptor set to positive tip. You can change the voltage from 3v up to 12v.

I initially had it set to 12v but when I plugged it in and selected the power display on the handset, it was fluctuating between 15.7v and 16.3v.

As I thought the Synscan should operate on 12v, I selected 9v on the adaptor, and this then shown as between 11.8v and 12.5v on the handset display. This is the setting I used the other night when I was having difficulties, and it only occurred to me the following day that I should have tried changing the adaptor to 12v.

Do you think this could have been causing the problems ?

Cheers.

Kev

The psu appears to be a non-regulated device which would cause the erratic behaviour of the mount.

Slewing the scope - ie engaging the drive motors - would have pulled the voltage down more closely to 9V, at which point the electronics would be underpowered hence causing the problem. Hopefully, someone can suggest a more suitable mains power supply if that's the way you want to go. I always use lead-acids in one form or another.

I think I've solved the problem.

I took my power adapter to a local telescope shop ( Opticstar in Sale, Manchester - very helpful ! ) They told me that the problem is my power adapter . It only produces 300ma of power, which is not enough. He said I need one that produces at least 1amp of power.

The erratic behaviour looks like it was being caused by a lack of power. Firstly, when using the power lead, and then secondly, when using the batteries that were running low.

Fortunately, Opticstar sell a 12v 2amp power adapter that they recommend for using with the Skymax127 Synscan.

It's only £15, and from my first test a few minutes ago, it appears to work perfectly.

Fingers crossed that's the problem solved. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Good luck mate ... now you can enjoy the views !

Thanks.

I can confirm now, after a couple of hours viewing, that the £15 I spent today on the adapter from Opticstar was money well spent, as my Synscan is now working perfectly. :grin:

Archived