Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First lunar mosaic! So happy but help needed

long_arms

Hi all,

Tonight I decided to have a crack at a lunar mosaic. I got 37 captures and stacked them with registax, then threw them at Microsoft ICE.

I am very happy with the outcome but I have no idea how to get rid of these lines :( !?

I don't have photoshop only GIMP. I tried the blur tool but hated it, perhaps I was thinking about it too much.

Anyway is there another program other than Microsoft ICE that may help? Should I use blur? Feather didn't do much but maybe I used it wrong?

Any suggestions for improvement welcome,

Thanks,

Dan

I've converted it to JPG so I can upload it here, the TIFF is massive!

post-26081-0-23469700-1354407136_thumb.j

Strange how you got lines as I've never had that when using ICE. Still a nice image though & it shows up plenty of detail. I had a go at a Mosaic in August using my Philips webcam on my 200P I did 260 frames & 107 videos just so I knew each one overlapped the next, it was probably overkill but it seemed to work ok, then I stacked each video in registax & stitched them together in ICE, then I finished off in Photoshop by sharpening up the image a bit & altering the colour balance slightly.

404748_10151112098353434_743470536_n.jpg

When you stack the images in Registax they will often end up with a thin white border. The trick is to take each finished frame and crop off the white border - GIMP will do that (or paint.net etc). Then bung them into MS ICE and Hey presto!! no more lines.

I think you will find that your image will "brush up nicely"!!

Thankyou all,

I used a Point Grey Firefly monochrome camera at prime focus in a skywatcher 200p f/5.

Bizibilder you life saver I cropped all the stacks a tad then threw it at ICE again and it worked!

Have no idea how to clean it up though, I've tried cropping it etc but couldn't get anything nice. Any suggestions on basic image editing? I am rubbish at this mosaic business aha!

Might now go back, restack them and have a go with wavelets a bit in registax. Just see if I prefer it a tad more sharp.

Anyway its looking better than before without the lines!

First moon mosaic

Thanks,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Archived