Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

my first attempt at Jupiter

After a number of set up issues with the observatory over the last few months headed out tonight and there was a window of oportunity to have a first play with the Phillips web cam. I used wx astrocapture and registax.. I also have no idea what I was doing as I just wanted to see if the webcam worked.

All setting were default and I did find Jupiter to be very bright and couldn't really get it focused.

So anyway here it is an please don laugh too hard

jupiter.bmp

I think you needed to turn the Gain down. I have it down on zero in Sharpcap. It will look slightly out of focus whilst capturing but then one you tweak the wavelets in Registax it all sharpens up.

Well done on getting it in the FOV though. I always find this very challenging.

Isn't imaging amazing?

Can't believe I've spent almost my whole life not imaging Jupiter! Haven't been doing it long at all but these pages have been really helpful.

Really, the point about gain is well made. And it's so hard, after finding the object in the EP, to find it again after replacing it with a webcam. So what can I share after just a few nights out?

NOTES TO SELF:

Sharpcap is really cool, but remember to set the image size before starting (my set up defaults to 320x240 when the webcam can go to 640x480)

Set the gain and exposure to max when trying to find the planet again after swapping in the webcam, because it will be unfocussed, diffuse and dim

The SharpCap video control panel disappears to the right and the first few times I couldn't remember how I found it

As soon as the planet's on screen touch NOTHING except fine tuning the finderscope so you can find it again!

In my Celestron, set the speed to 3 or lose the object

Setting the GOTO align again is a VERY bad idea because it resets the speed and the object just disappears as soon as I even look at the handset

Capture at the lowest gain and shortest exposure I can get away with at maybe 10fps.

Hurl wavelets at my image in registax, gaussian blur in photoshop will take away the cross-hatching

Never, never, never give up!

Have fun guys!

Joe

Nexstar 127SLT, Revelation Barlow 2.5x, Phillips SPC880NC webcam (modded)

post-23681-0-29731700-1354422586_thumb.j

Me too. Tried adjusting the gain as well as some other factors but think it is beyond my set up at the moment.

I dont think so it will be beyond your setup. I had my first go on friday night using an xbox webcam and a cheapy 70mm refractor my father in law gave me. I managed to get this.

yva9ezup.jpg

I

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

Did I mention that was 1 minute of imaging after an hour and a half of trying to get it in the web cam, dont know what the problem is there as in each all attempts tonight jupiterwas dead center in a 4mm eye piece and it looked amazing!

Was just about to hit capture for a 3rd attempt to have jupiter dissapear,stuck my head out of the dome to discover the clouds had rolled in!!!!

Archived