Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CMOS - sensor ASI120MM shines @ 48.6 degrees..!

Kokatha man also!

post-27040-0-61298900-1354364094_thumb.ppost-27040-0-59045100-1354364123_thumb.ppost-27040-0-79156300-1354364160_thumb.pPardon the sense of satisfaction please fellas - we're doing it tough in the Southern Hemisphere watching some of the images from up North being pulled - over on CN we're seeing some especially nice Jovian images.....but last night we continued testing the cmos-sensor ASI120MM mono camera and were lucky enough to get a little bit of reward for our constant efforts "against the wind"..! grin.gif

In fact we took 66Gb of data with calm conditions - the hazy cloud was still there like it allways seems to be but otherwise conditions were quite good.....this is one time that I think I can honestly say that there really might be a better rgb set in the 21 sets or rgb's we captured! fingerscrossed.gifsmile.gif

I believe at f19.6 (5000mm) this camera's small pixel size (3.75uM) was pretty well-matched to the seeing possibilities - but I'd love to have one night before we return home where I can "dial up" a greater image scale - although that might be being a bit greedy! questionicon.gif (and only 4 nights left till we leave!)

Anyway, we'll have enough rgb's to make a complete GRS transit of Jove's disk.....so plenty to keep us occupied regardless of what happens in the next few nights...

Here are a couple of images - with the constant proviso that they're done on an uncalibrated laptop "in the field" so they may not be entirely as desired...

First an RGB at 48.6 degrees and at capture scale...then at 120% and finally a red channel taken mid-session. :)

Astonishing level of detail in there. I'm going to have to go back and look at some of the other images to compare them now. I'd never considered that it might be possible to pick up detail inside the GRS!

James

just goes to show seeing isnt all about alt, once it goes beyond 40 degrees great things can still happen, and heres the proof, this is the kind of seeing i was hoping to get this year but sadly Nadda so far But aint giving up.

Time to get a bigger scope, move country Whatever. If only i could. You was just teasing us with those first feild shots Darryl, i didnt say anything because i new the better processing would be coming. The detail is a magnitiude of better captures than ive had at 50 something degrees. Your right to be satisfied with those. All the hard work is paying you handsomely.

Care to share the capture times technique, winjupos ? or what ? Just a hint of red on top, but now im being picky. superbly processed. Ok ok there nice.

post-27040-0-84010200-1354375388_thumb.ppost-27040-0-02897000-1354375424_thumb.pThanks for the generous comments fellas! :smiley:

Possibly you're picking up on the fact that these colour images were actually R-RGB's Neil.....as I just said over on CN, I stuffed up my file-naming tonight whilst processing (I am really running almost on empty atm) and only the timestamp and the fact that I didn't delete a bracket from the straight RGB' filenames has enabled me to tell which is which... :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are the straight RGB's but I realy want to process these at home (this laptop isn't really meant for processing!?!) and I am fairly certain that there will be 3 consecutive sets of rgb's like this one (7000 frames) or better to make a "special" 21,000 frame WinJupos if I'm lucky and very carefull.....but for now I need to sleep!!! :Envy:

Happy to give the procesing details when I've recovered a bit but the capture details would be very much an ASI120MM particularity.....I was very honoured that Sam sent me a mono and colour one and really DO think they are a great cam..! :smiley:

Thanks for the generous comments everyone.....it was nice to crack some decent seeing - it's funny here at Tennant Creek where there's allways haze and reduced transparency (this night was no different) but often (well nearly allways) SkippySky forecasts total cloud cover but large swathes of sky stay clear! :smiley:

As I might've said, I didn't rate the seeing as anything out of the ordinary because although it looked good onscreen I've had plenty of much better onscreen appearances.....prompting me to ask Sam if perhaps there's something in the camera's properties even..?!? :confused:

But the camera must also take a lot of credit also..!!! :smiley:

Bud - we actually plugged the colour cam in after the mono this night.....but seeing had been slowly dropping and by the time we were ready to rock & roll it was poor so we took a couple of avi's just to familiarise ourselveswith its' operation - none worth posting atm.

But the 2 rgb sets after the one I used for this thread are better than this one in all 3 channels to varying degrees - so we'll see what we can make of them! :grin:

Thanks Josh - I wish your comments were true..! :rolleyes:

Where we are tranparency is allways a problem for a variety of reasons but seeing cooperated this night for a couple of hours, although it could've been better tbh! (but it's a bit like fishermen's stories also - the "what might've beens!") :grin:

Archived