Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eye piece sets for an xmas present please help!

Hi guys,

i need some help, basically not so long ago i bought my girlfriend a telescope so she could get started (skywatcher heritage 130p).

So i thought for christmas i would buy her some new eye pieces accessories etc to get the most out of it. However i know nothing about what to look for i was thinking about getting her the Revelation Eyepiece set from FLO

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/revelation-photo-visual-eyepiece-kit.html

But im not sure about the quality of the lenses that are given. Would it be better if i bought the lenses/barlow seperately and if so what type of eye pieces should i go for.

She already has a 10mm and a 20mm that came supplied with her telescope. She mostly looks at the moon, jupiter and occasionally stars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Well, it's an ok set (I do have one myself), but, to be honest some of the eyepieces in it I have never even used more than once! You might be better off getting one or two individual eyepieces for the same kind of money. I have the BST's from 'Skies The Limit' and rate them very highly for the money, as do a lot of people on this forum! I probably mostly use the 25mm and the 12mm, but they are all pretty good! Maybe a couple of these and a reasonable barlow lens, like the Revelation one which you can buy on it's own I believe, would be a better spend of money than the Revelation set!

Hope this helps..:-)

Doc

I agree entirely with the BST/Starguiders, can't fault them for the price. On the question of filters, don't worry, I don't think they will get used. I have a set similar to the Revelation and I don't think they enhance viewing at all.

If by filters you mean the coloured one included in most eyepiece sets, then like many comments above I wouldn't bother. Now there are other filters out there that can assist viewing but given her likely level of experience and the objects that she is currently observing, then a variable polarizing lunar filter might be worth considering. There are different manufacturers out there but this one is pretty good and modestly priced. Most lunar observers prefer not to view the moon at its brightest full moon phase but instead prefer to view it through its many different phases along the terminator (where sunlight meets the shadow of the moon). As some of these phases still include a large part of the lunar surface remaining brightly illuminated, then a filter to reduce that brightness across all the different phases might be a useful idea. :smiley:

Nothing like spending someone else's money :grin: but certainly some good suggestions on the BST's above.

Clear skies

James

+1 for the BST`s ive got the 18mm and the 8mm and they are superb and Alan at Sky's the limit is a real gentleman. Like rwilkey has said its doubtful they would be useful a moon filter maybe and then later either a lll O or UHC filter to look at nebula's when she has more experience. I would have a word with Alan he will steer you right a couple of good BST`s and a good Barlow and she will be smiling from ear to ear when she uses her scope.

thanks guys for all your help and putting me in the direction of skies the limit, alan was amazing and very informative.

I decided to go for the BSTs a 5mm and a 25 mm as well as a polarising filter mainly for photography.

However having a bit of an issue Alan explained that the 25 bst would be great for star clusters etc but i cant remember if he was talking about BST 58 wide angle or the BST 60 Starguider/ explorer.

Tried to ring him but i cant get through, could anyone shed some light on which would be better for star clusters/ general observing

cheers john

thanks guys for all your help and putting me in the direction of skies the limit, alan was amazing and very informative.

I decided to go for the BSTs a 5mm and a 25 mm as well as a polarising filter mainly for photography.

However having a bit of an issue Alan explained that the 25 bst would be great for star clusters etc but i cant remember if he was talking about BST 58 wide angle or the BST 60 Starguider/ explorer.

Tried to ring him but i cant get through, could anyone shed some light on which would be better for star clusters/ general observing

cheers john

I'd get the Starguider / BST Explorer because comments on that have been good. I haven't heard anything about the BST Wide Angle 25mm (they were an extension of the other BST Wide Angle line up which was 2.5 - 9mm). They're probably both about the same quality :).

HTH

Archived