Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear skies on the horizon

stevetynant

The people on the weather forum I frequent are getting very excited about the weeks ahead. By Wednesday they expect temperatures to plummet in Wales -2 to-5 , possible snow event following this period but in the short term hopefully that means some crystal skies for us after all this horrible weather. Time to get the long johns ready hopefully.

I hope these aren't the same people who said it was going to be a dry summer and then that there was going to be an Indian summer. I'm not sure I'd believe a weather forecaster these days if they told me they'd just checked out of the window.

James

These are people who fret over synoptic charts in the same way astronomers can about their eye piece choices - take a look - really interesting

However theres one thing I can say with even my limited understanding of all the data these people chew over - things can change very quicjkly = but a lot of optimism now for colder spells to come

Lol forgot about that. And iv just been staring at a nealy full moon through clouds just a few mins ago. I was hoping to test my new tripod head for the at. But as u said Steve It will be a welcome reprieve for the rest of the uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astro Panel showing a crystal clear night here in S Wales tonight - light breeze but the temperatures are going to be around freezing - might be a chance to get some early evening observing done (I know its a full moon but with the weather we've had lately a little garden astronomy is a welcome break)

If nothing else a chance for all the S Wales group to check out their cold wether kit for Blaenavon in December.

. . . . . If nothing else a chance for all the S Wales group to check out their cold wether kit for Blaenavon in December.

Good Idea Steve, and don't forget the plate, fork ,and napkin for bread pudding; we must have proper etiquette. :tongue:

Wrapped up like a Michelin man tonight and went out the back garden with the bins and my maps, lasted about 15 minutes tops. The moon is absolutely flooding the sky tonight, was quite stunning on the way home from work actually when it was just above the horizon,it looked huge. Beautiful it is with Jupiter right next to it but can't wait to see the back of it at the moment.

Apparently over the next few days the moon n Jupiter are gonna make a sort of conjunction. A dimmin of Jupiter behind the moon. Might be interesting. An most likely cloudy. I'm outside now going between the caravan an garage for my washing was going to turn yard light off and give the at a go but I forgot to charge the camera and power pack batts. Looking forward to buying new camera Friday tho:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clear skies and plunging temperatures forecast for S Wales tonight - moon doesn't get above the horizon until after midnight - could be a good one.

Indeed. The other side of the Severn estuary the temperature feels like it's fallen off a cliff.

James

just got in from my adventures in the back garden - fantastic evening - I think it deserves a thread on its own.

It was minus 2 degrees when I eventually called it a day and that was more to do with getting up for work than anything else- hope theres lots of you took advantage.

The guys on the weather forum are getting majorly twitchy about next week now -something extremely cold heading in from the East for early/mid next week. If it comes off could be pretty extreme.

yep, hauled my butt outside last night with the intention of just doing visual, but as the perennial old favourite m42 crept above the rooftops, it was imaging time!

first time i'd used the scope in months, and other than forgetting to focus through the bahtinov for the initial, non-filtered, shots, it was refreshing to see that i could still do the setup on auto-pilot. had to call it quits at about 11pm when the secondary frosted over - guess i need to make that heater after all :smiley: - but otherwise it was a great night.

tonight is looking unlikely, but friday is promising, so webcam and jupiter will be calling :grin:

Not looking good for a while in S Wales now unfortunately - tonight though cold will have freezing fog and mist apparantly - after that the temperatures rise but so does the cloud cover - rain for the weekend is the odds on bet at the moment though nothing is cast in stone. Was just thinking last night as I stared up at the freezing, clear dark skies how much more stargazing I'd done in the height of winter than virtually the whole spring/summer put together - unfortunately looks like its coming to a temporary stop. Never mind time for the new Christmas books and Scope maintenance to get a look in so I'm ready to get up and going when it clears. Keep the faith :0)

Im giving serious consideration to getting outside at 2am on Thursday till dawn. Got Friday off and getting some disappointing signs for the astronomical viewing chances over the next few weeks.be interesting to see what's in the sky at that time of he morning in my little northern segment of the sky.

Archived